Ich and secondary infection?

1. f

fishayfishay1020 New Member Member

I have a 30 gallon tank with a peguin 200 filter and 5 cherry barbs, 3 diamond tetras and 3 peppered cories. I just got the 3 diamond tetras from a lfs and they infected my tank with ich. I was going to finish the school of cories in week but that is not possible as of now. I have been treating the ich with api super ick cure and it seems to be working but now some of my cherry barbs have a little outline of white stuff on thier fins. My cories and tetras seem fine even though i dosed full dose. I need to know what to do about the white stuff or if its just a side effect of the meds.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you take a picture of the white stuff? It's possible that it's fin rot if it's lining the fins but hard to say without a pic.

3. X

XxTheSilentWolfxX New Member Member

This just happened to me! In my 38 gal euro, my trio of swords, four of my mollies, two cories, and three guppies all perished. Several of them it was from ICH, but a few of them developed a white area just around their mouths and stopped eating. I looked it up. Columnaris, a fungal infection, is a very common secondary infection that can occur in stressed or sick fish. All three of my swords developed the white mouth (I mean seriously it looked like they dipped their mouths in white powder) and died shortly after. From previous experience, columnaris, also called cottonmouth, can occur on the fins and gills of a fish. In the early stages it appears as white spots or white powder, but after a time it develops into a miniature cauliflower-like thing on the fish that grows bigger and eventually falls off, exploding into the rest of the tank. I separated the affected cory cat the first time I had this into another small container of tank water and kept him there until all of the spots fell off and no new ones developed (about two weeks). He was stressed but lived for another six months before dying of ICH... -_-. Look up columnaris!

4. OP
    OP
    f

Ok here is an image IMG]https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/image.php?di=HU2G[/IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    f

How do you upload an image on the app on iphone?

6. OP
    OP
    f

[​IMG]

7. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It does appear to be fin rot which can be cured by large and frequent water changes. How often and how large were your water changes? What are your water parameters - pH, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

8. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

I agree, looks like fin rot. Good thing is it's relatively easy to cure! Just like el337 said, big daily water changes. My new Betta came home with it and is doing better after only two days. First day I did 50% water change, and I'm following with daily 30-40% and daily gravel vacuums. Just keep the water very clean and since you caught it early hopefully it will resolve itself. And yes, please post water parameters. Good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    f

10. OP
    OP
    f

Temp at 82 because of ich

11. OP
    OP
    f