Ich and Poor Water Quality

Jozi1674

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two issues going on...please Help! I have a 46 Gallon tank for which I was cycling for two months. I cycled with 2 giant Danios and a few items from an old 10 gallon that I had prior. Since the beginning I have always had cloudy water that has never cleared up. During the process I had my tank water tested a few times before adding more fish. As soon as I got the OK, I started to slowly add the rest of the fish I have now. When I got my last two fish which were the Pictus Catfish I decided to start dealing with the cloudy water. I received instruction from a petsmart employee to go ahead and do a 25% water change and change the carbon (which was due) and rinse the filter with the aquarium water in hopes that would help. BIG mistake.. a few days later the water was still not clear and I noticed a few of my fish having ICH spots (both catfish and the two danios). I immediately called a reputable aquarium shop and they instructed me to come in and purchase Quick Cure and Cycle and do a few water changes in between medicating and raise the temp slowly to 82. I added the Quick cure and the Cycle and began the process of ridding ICH from my tank. I came to find out that Cycle was a waste of money because the Quick Cure would cancel the bacteria out and Quick cure was extremely dangerous for myself as well as my fish. 5 days later I decided to stop the quick cure all together, invest in a test kit and start educating myself about water parameters and fish disease. I than tested my water and the parameters are as follows and has been for 3 days... PH is 7.0..Ammonia is 0.25..and Nitrates is 10. I have done several 25%-30% water changes and have not been able to get rid of the Ammonia. I have not fed my fish in 2 days. All are doing good, even the two that still have ICH. I looked at my filter today and the sponge insert turned blue from the Quick Cure. I have not replaced the Carbon (which was removed while medicating). Can it be that the sponge still has the medication in it, still canceling the bacteria? What can I do about the sponge without going backwards again? should I put the carbon back in? Any other suggestions to try and get the ammonia down?..Sorry so long!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Your tank is rather new and I went through many of the same problems as you are after starting my tank this year. However, I had a bout with ICK and used Quick Cure to solve it and it did not kill my beneficial bacteria.

First off, you're ammonia readings are not helping your fish. Is there ammonia in your tap water perhaps? If you want to rid your tank off the Quick Cure, just reinstall your carbon and it will clean it out.

Are you sure the tank was cycled before? Are you over feeding your fish? That could be a source of your ammonia.

Jozi1674

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Because I was relying on store employees to test my water parameters I was told the water was cycled and ready...As far as feeding, I am not sure if I am feeding too much..usually 1 or two flakes for the top feeders and a few shrimp pellets for the bottom feeders. Whatever they dont eat I take out. Currently though I havent been feeding them in a few days until today and it was much much less than what I described.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to Fishlore!

Sorry you are having problems. Pictus cats don't do well in a tank with ammonia and nitrite present. No fish really dose but some are more sensitive.

First off your filter is not big enough for your tank. Personally I would of gone with the AC 110. Having good filtration is importent.

I agree, Test your tap water for ammonia and nitrAtes.

For treating ICH you raise the temp slowly to 84-86 for two weeks or more, no higher, you need to get a bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus for a water conditioner, will convert ammonia into a non-toxic form and detox the nitrItes and nitrAtes or a bottle of API Ammo-lock. for 24hrs until your next partial water change. Do a gravel vac every few days to pickup spores. Get a fine filter material, that will help trap some of them in the filter, they need a host. Using a ICH med will not help due to you have toxins in the water and need to be doing daily water changes.

Last edited:

Jozi1674

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the reponses!..What do you mean get a fine filter material? Is this in addition to what already comes with the AC Filters?

Jozi1674

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you or anyone recommend a fine filter pad to add to my filter to trap some of the ICH spores? How long do I keep it in for? I am tired of asking sales employees at the LFS because I feel like they never give good advice and most likely I walk out with items that dont work.....Also to update and answer some of the questions above, I tested my tap water and no ammonia present. Today I purchased the AC Filter 70, which is the one up from the one I currently have, along with the insert that filters the ammonia out as well as a bottle of Prime, came home and did a 50% water change. I waited a few hours to check the Ammonia and ALAS I finally got better results. PH still stands at 7.0..Ammonia is in between 0 and 0.25 but more towards 0 (I tested twice)...Nitrites 0...and Nitrates 5... Should I do another water change tomorrow if I get the same results? If so how much? Also Should I feed my fish tomorrow or hold off until I can get the ammonia down to 0 ( I did not feed them today)?

Jozi1674

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I forgot to mention, I have the old and the new filter running at the same time in my tank. I plan to leave them on for a month or two and than remove the old one.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom