Ich and Immunnity

TFA101
My twenty gallon has gone through two minimal cases of ich throughout the five months it has been set up. One had to do with my now dead Rainbow shark, and the other had to do with a male peppered cory, who is still alive and healed...so I thought.

During this time my black tetras were completley immune to this disease despite the fact ich is a very contagious disease. But now, the ich is back and attacking my small male platy and my male peppered cory. They seem to not really care and they look healthy with vibrant colors and no spots, but on occasion, they will rub against ornaments. I'm not taking chances here, so I'm going to get rid of it once and for all.... but how?

PS

Why aren't my black tetras getting ich >> not that I want them to, I'm just curious

sirdarksol
It could be that some water parameter (hardness, pH, maybe even something we don't normally track, such as amount of tannins in the water) make it slightly more difficult for the cory and shark to resist the infestation. Stressed fish are more likely to get ill. The converse of this is that comfortable fish are less likely to get ill.

Narcicius
I love how that works, just keep the fish happy and more than likely they'll not get sick in return.

lilsoccakid
if ich is becoming a problem, and keeps coming back, I would suggest keeping the tank constantly at 82*, because ich can't live in water this warm

TFA101
if ich is becoming a problem, and keeps coming back, I would suggest keeping the tank constantly at 82*, because ich can't live in water this warm

If I do this, and I don't have an airstone, wouldn't that mean lack of oxygen? Since cooler water is oxygen-rich, would this method technically decline the quality of my tank?

TFA101
Does anyone have a reccomended medicine that is of good quality and almost guaranteed to be stocked at any random LFS?

COBettaCouple
If you haven't treated the ich with warmer temp. treatment, then it's been staying in the tank the whole time probably.

I'd put an airstone in and keep the temp at 82-84F for 2 weeks. No medicine is needed, but we like to add a herbal med called Rid-Fungus.

sirdarksol
What kind of filter do you have? If you have, for example, a BioWheel, you probably could get away without an airstone in the tank (though getting a cheap pump, some hose, and a stone wouldn't be a bad idea).

TFA101
I have an aqua-tech for twenty gallons. And is it true that you should remove activated carbon during the medicine administration period?

sirdarksol
If you're going to medicate, yes.
I would strongly suggest going through a period of higher water temps first, though, as all medications stand the chance of de-cycling your tank (even if they say they won't).

valen
I'm going through the same thing. I just noticed it today. I recently added my first live plant. Could that have given the platy's ich ? The LFS keeps plants separate from fish.

My filter is a Marineland biowheel type in a 10G tank. Will the Platy's take 82 F ? Do I need an airstone ? Also, the filter cartridge in my filter has the nylon filtration media and the carbon all in one. If I put medication, I got to take it out. Is it OK to have no filtering at all going on (with the pump running but no cartridge) while I medicate ? Do I need to medicate at all or is 82 F enough ?

sirdarksol
It's possible. There's ich pretty much everywhere, it's just that a healthy fish's immune system can resist the parasite. Once one fish's system gives in, the number of free-floating parasites jumps (because it has a place to breed, now), allowing it to then overrun other fish.
It wouldn't be surprising if the plant's tank had ich in it.

valen
Based on some web research, I am thinking of trying Jungle Ick Guard or Ick Guard II. Anybody try these ?

If treating with 82F+ water temp only (no meds) is enough to kill ich, why would there be such a huge array of Ich meds on the market ? (It's my first ich outbreak so I have no idea) Why would anyone want to buy a product when they can essentially kill ich for free ?

TFA101
I'm using QuICK Cure. Melachite Green doesn't harm my pleco or corys does it? They haven't shown signs of stress. It only says not to use on baby whales or elephant nose fish. Anyway, my tanks pretty much cured and the medicine guarantees that after treatment (since it's so strong, only two days) all parasites will be DEAD!! Today's day two, but I think I'll use it for one more day just to be safe.

sirdarksol
Based on some web research, I am thinking of trying Jungle Ick Guard or Ick Guard II. Anybody try these ?

If treating with 82F+ water temp only (no meds) is enough to kill ich, why would there be such a huge array of Ich meds on the market ? (It's my first ich outbreak so I have no idea) Why would anyone want to buy a product when they can essentially kill ich for free ?

You underestimate the power of human laziness. People will do anything if they don't have to work for it.
There's also the belief that a more "scientific" solution is a better solution. There are OTC painkillers out there that say that they are medically formulated to solve back/head/arthritis/whatever pain. However, these are just aspirin/acetaminophen/Aleve with a fancy label and an extra fifty cents or more on the price tag, yet people buy them.
A simple treadmill (no electricity, just rollers and a belt) provides a better workout than one of the giant monstrosities you find at gyms, as you are pushing the belt rather than it pushing you, but nobody uses them.

In every decade, there are a few buzz words that can be attached to anything to make them seem better. In the seventies and eighties, anything that had to do with lasers had to be better. This is directly related to our belief that new is better.

On top of this, it's an advertisement issue. There are no large companies advertising raising heat to get rid of Ich, because there's no money in it. On the other hand, companies like Jungle Labs (the word "labs" evokes that "science is better" feeling in people, too) stand a lot to gain by offering a quick cure for the disease.

It's a simple fact that the Ich parasite can't reproduce at higher temperatures. It takes longer than the meds, but it also doesn't stand the chance of throwing your aquarium into a tizzy, so it seems to be a fair tradeoff.

TFA101
wuhhhh?

SereneReyn
I think the short answer is 'ignorance'.

COBettaCouple
Malachite Green (aka Victoria Green) is harmful to many fish. Check the wikipedia page on it. Ich doesn't need meds, just warmer temps for 2 weeks and increased cleaning and water changes.

I'm using QuICK Cure. Melachite Green doesn't harm my pleco or corys does it? They haven't shown signs of stress. It only says not to use on baby whales or elephant nose fish. Anyway, my tanks pretty much cured and the medicine guarantees that after treatment (since it's so strong, only two days) all parasites will be DEAD!! Today's day two, but I think I'll use it for one more day just to be safe.

sirdarksol

I think the short answer is 'ignorance'.

What Serene said.

Valen asked a question. I answered and elaborated. I'm a writer. It's what I do.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas
Replies
Views
Masspanic
Replies
Views
MacZ
Top Bottom