Ich And Fungus While Cycling

fyshfuud

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should put this in cycling or disease.

I was helping my sister set up a 35 gal hex. I put in the TSS and told her all about cycling and that it would take some time. To my horror, she got tired of "looking at an empty tank" and impatient like so many other newbs, and she went out and got about 20 fish all at once. :banghead: (Mostly guppies, a couple platies, and otos.)

Obviously this was disastrous! :emoji_cry:

The fish all got what I think was ich and fungus both and started rapidly dying. I made her take all of them back to Petsmart. Hopefully this convinced her of the importance of waiting for it to cycle. I'm really trying to get her to do things right and helping as much as I can, but I'm fairly new at the hobby myself. I don't know where to go from here. I checked the water Saturday when we removed the fish and she tested again yesterday. (API master test kit) She hasn't gotten home from work yet to test again today.

Saturday: amo 2, nitrite .25, and nitrate 0
Yesterday: amo .5, nitrite 2, still no nitrate

I should also mention that the water smells awful.

SO...What do I do? Empty and clean the whole thing and start over and lose the progress the cycle has made already? Do a massive water change and medicate the empty tank? I read that fungus isn't contagious but the ich is. Is it still in the water then?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If there are no fish in the tank then the ich should die off without a host. Not sure about the fungus. Let’s see what others say.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For the ich to die off? Less than a week without a host. Give it a week to be safe. Turn your heat up to 86F too. That will kill it off and help your tank cycle faster.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom