Ich AND dropsy?

1. C

Carissa Rodriguez New Member Member

20 gallon
    2 gold dust mollies.
    2platy
    1dalmation Molly.
    15 more or less Molly fry

So I had another Platy. It went missing. and my second Dalmatian Molly died today.
    I came home from work and she was dead. bristled as a pinecone. Google says it's dropsy
    A few days ago. I noticed my gold dust Molly had tons of... Dandruff.. now Google had clarified that it is definitely ich.
    So what the crapp...!?! Why does my tank have all these diseases.
    Where do they come from? My first fishtank and it seems to be going down the drain... Literally.
    If they're all diseased. Like covered in ich.. do I put them out of their misery??
    Is the tank safe to re use?
    Is it even worth it to spend money to attempt to save them? Cause they look pretty boned. :( which is sad because I love them Soo much.

2. Guppy lover12346

Guppy lover12346 New Member Member

Hi, ich is simply rather easy to treat if found out early( in my opinion) turn up your heater till around 84-86F, do a 50% water change now. Good luck
    Also, add a bit of aquarium salt...worked for me

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :) You've come to the right place for help!

First off, we need to know your water parameters. Dropsy doesn't just happen. It's a sign of a severe bacterial or parasitic infection, which usually happens when one or more of your water parameters are out of whack.

If your fish have ICH, the best way to treat it IMO, given the fish that you have, is to add some salt to the tank and raise the heat to 86 degrees. Raising the temp will speed the ICH's lifecycle along and kill it off faster than your fish can by themselves. Do daily water changes with gravel vacuuming, and keep this up until two weeks after the last signs of ICH are gone. It can take a while, just be aware. ICH ALWAYS gets worse before it gets better.

4. OP
    OP
    C

Carissa Rodriguez New Member Member

I never bought a heater because I live in las Vegas and it's very hot in my room the tank is also near the window. Very warm.
    But I just found my missing Platy. He was dead. Behind the filter covered in mold. white fuzzy.
    Could that cause dropsy for my poor dalmation? I never noticed she was bloated cause she has babies alot. And her raised scales were hard to tell with her black and white spots.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Is your tank cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Also what size tank are these fish in?

Filling out your Aquarium Info would help other help you. You can access it by going to "Forum Actions" at the top of the page and choosing "Edit Profile" from the drop down menu.