Ich and Baby fry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just noticed some of my fish have Ich, (yet again) but I have 9, 5 day old fry in a breeder box in the same tank. If I use my Ich medication, will this hurt/kill the babies? I have no other tank to place them in.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The medication will most likely be pretty touch on the young fishes' systems and I generally would advise against medicating in most instances. To treat ich I would recommend raising your tank's temperature up to around 85-86 degrees F and doing daily gravel vacuumings. Doing this will speed up the ich lifecycle, eliminate some of the reproducing spores, and kill off any new parasites trying to find a new host. This treatment should be easier on the little fry, good luck

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meds can cause stress on fish, weakening their immune system. I've never had fry nor have I had to treat ICK infected fry, but I would think it would be pretty hard on them.

If you do have ICK, the best way to treat it without meds is to raise the temperature to 84-86 and leave it there for two weeks or longer. The higher temps will speed up the ICK spores life cycle. You'll have to do two or more gravel vacuums and water changes a week because once the white spots all off your fish, they drop into the gravel and hatch and multiply by the hundreds. You can also add a tablespoon or so of salt per 5 gallons in the tank.

However, higher temps and salt could be too harmful for your new fry. Wait for some more answers on treating ill fry because I've never had any experience with fry before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom