IALs for V

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

All right so I finally did what I've been wanting to do for awhile, get V some IALs. claireputput, I ordered the ones you linked me to specifically :) I'm really excited to try them out, but I have a few questions.

Do I need to sterilize them first? Or will a quick rinse do the trick?

V is in a 10g tank, will one large leaf be sufficient?

Should I put it in whole or crumble?

How do I do this so my pH is not heavily affected? My water has pretty poor buffering capacity but it's fairly stable. How much and how fast is one large leaf going to alter my pH, if at all.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Good.
    I honestly did not/do not rinse the leaves-just put one in. I use them in my SA cichlid tanks as well. I put one leaf in which ever tank I am adding it to.
    The ph will go down but slowly. I empty about 33%-50% every week but I don't worry about ph. In fact, I haven't checked ph in any tank with the exception of my saltwater tank in months. Therefore, I cannot tell you how fast it goes down-mine out of the tap is very hard and the ph is about 7.8 if I recall.
    I leave the leaves whole and they eventually sink and begin to deteriate. I don't mind the tannins nor do I mind the leaf litter so I never take them out. I add another leaf when it appears it is totally dissolved! :)

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Hello PI,

Not to answer for her, and I'm no expert on almond leaves, but I'm pretty sure the pH is going to be lowered when you use them. And do I remember you mentioning Purigen? Was that in other tank or in the betta tank? I think it has to come out if you use it. And here endeth my almond leave knowledge Two sentences.

4. old hippy Member Member

To echo Adam55, Purigen will negate the leaves' effects, as will activated carbon-( if you're using that to clear out meds.)

5. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I know it'll affect somewhat. I thought the effect was lessened or at least slowed by putting the leaf in whole as opposed to making an extract. Being a betta, he'd probably like the lower pH I just want to make sure it doesn't shock him, given how poorly buffered my water is. However, I only once had an issue with pH instability during cycling and since then it's been so stable I have to wonder if I'm doing the titration test wrong. Or at least interpreting it incorrectly. However it's probably the frequent, small water changes I do as opposed to one, large, weekly one I do that keeps things more stable. Right now, I'm doing water changes so frequently in V's tank that there may not even be much of a drop until later. At any rate, maybe I'll start with half a leaf and go from there.

@oldhippy - I'm currently running carbon but only for the moment to pull out meds. It will be long gone by the time the IALs arrive. Still, I hadn't even considered that the carbon would negate their medicinal effects, that's a good point, thanks :)

Thanks all! I figured you'd all say as much haha.

6. claireputput Well Known Member Member

PI, I don't use carbon in my betta tanks since I no longer use meds-just leaves and salt.

7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I don't use it any of my tanks either. I just needed to pull out the last of the antibiotics since we're taking a (hopefully permanent) break from meds. I really hope this stuff helps him and doesn't screw with my pH too much.

8. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Just give it time and don't anx over it-it takes time! :)

9. Clement Chee Initiate Member

Hi poeticinjustices,

I don't claim myself to be an expert but I am an IALs seller and supplier from Malaysia. I will share with you with what I know about IAL, for your case.

Do you rinse them?
    For me, I do rinse them before putting them into the tank. I do this so that there will be minimal dust attached to the leaf before putting them in the tank. However, in the nature, the mother earth cleans for them.

For a 10g tank
    Usually, a leaf with the size of 6-inches will be sufficient. If you have large leaves up to 8 - 10 inches, you can tear them into half.

Put in whole or crumble? This is a very good question.
    I will put in a whole leaf or half of the leaf without crumbling them if my betta appears to be normal. If you just want to lower the pH in your tank, one whole piece is fine. However, I also use crumbled leaves when I want to kind of quarantine the bettas. This is usually after spawning, they look really sick or fin rots. When the leaf is crumbled, it releases properties much faster through the cracks and tears when you dip them in the water. You can experiment this and see with your own eyes.

Will your pH be heavily affected?
    Depending on where you get the leaves from, each leaf produces different results. When a dry leaf is starting to rot, it will loss its effectiveness when it comes to lowering the pH. This kind of dry leaves are usually really old and of no good use for the tanks already. If you sell dry leaves but they appear to be reddish in colour, it means they are not fully dried and these leaves also do not produce the best results. For best results, you will need to get fresh dry leaves, usually they are even in color. Poor quality leaves come with tiny black dots and they are sandy when you touch them.

If you really need to test your pH, you will need a tester. Usually, I don't do pH test for any of my tanks.

Hope this helps.

10. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I can reasonably assure you that the drop in pH from IAL will not bother your betta, even if it fluctuates a little bit. I have next to no buffering on any of my tanks (I only add buffer to my RO for the CO2 injected tanks, and only then about 1-2 dKH) and the changes in pH from CO2 injection and use of IAL leaves doesn't appear to effect my betta fry and betta juvies in the slightest. The adult bettas see IAL for the first time when they are stuck in a spawning tank, and they usually immediately spawn. Seem happy enough that I've never been too concerned with my exact pH values.