I won!!!!!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by wonton55912, Mar 19, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

i won a betta fish! it comes with a bowl and food but can i put him in my 1.66gal tank with a frog?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

probably not as the betta will eat all the frogs food and there really isnt space in that small of a tank for him to swim...:(

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Agree :)
    Now congrats ! How did you win a betta?
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    w

it was a contest at my school
    thanks carol

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    w

new betta need advice

i am getting a betta on wednesday i dont know what to do or how to take care of it. i have never had a betta before. here are my questions.

* can i feed it regular fish food or the stuff exclusively for bettas?
    * can they eat freeze dried bloodworms?
    * is it true that they can breathe air?
    off topic:
    do frogs need airstones?

i know nothing about bettas just that theyre agressive.

6. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Bettas can be feed regular food but something designed for them is good. As for freeze dried blood worms they are ok as long as you soak them in water first. And yest bettas do breath air.

Theres the answers to your questions know here is what you didnt ask and need to know lol.

1. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ners-read-melafix-alert-read-read-danger.html
    Bettas are very senstive to certian medications and some are just not all that good for them. You have to be careful not to damage their lybrinth organ which is what they use to breath air. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/16170-list-betta-meds.html
    That is the best list out there lol.

2. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/14253-important-betta-topics-read-first.html
    With getting a new betta I always suggest reading those forms first they will help you greatly. And also make sure your new tank is cycled. It is much easier on the fish.

3. Some people get confused about the differently made betta water conditioners. They arent all that special just a small amount of additives that can help. But using Prime is perfectly fine. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/water-conditioners/63637-using-prime.html

4. Omgea One foods are a good and usually most LFS's carry Omega Foods for fish. I use them and they are perfect. If you want a good one for bettas go for the betta buffet in PELLET form.  

5. Give your new betta lots of hidding places little caves and lots of soft plants. Run panty hose over the plats if it snags the plant isnt safe for betta fins.

6. Freeze Dried Blood Worms are not much of a diet for bettas. I suggest either a pellett food or frozen blood worms by Hikari which have added vitimins for bettas and other fish.

7. Bettas didnt come from puddles so make sure your tank is at least a 2.5 filtered and heated to around 78-80 degrees is the best tempature.  
    Not saying get that tank just and idea on what to work with lol.

8. Love your betta, as they are agressive they cant be housed with other fish and usually form strong bonds to their owners. They love to be loved so love them bunches which you'll find hard not to do lol.

I know that was a lot of info but it was needed. Other will post more if they havent by the time I finish this. I wish you the best of luck on your new betta. If you have anyother questions dont think twice before asking no question is a dumb one.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. c

click Well Known Member Member

Have you read this page Betta care guide ? It should answer most of your questions...let us know if it helped.

Edit: hehe, I was slow in my reply, great advice above. ;)

8. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's a good link to get you started: Betta Care Guide

Typically Betta's do best on a diet of betta pellets though freeze dried blood worms make a great treat. Yes betta's do breathe air, in fact they'll die if they are unable to access surface air so make sure that they can.
    Betta's are aggressive so they do best in their own heated and filtered homes. 2.5 gallons would be the minimum for a betta since heaters aren't calibrated for anything smaller. Personally I find that 5 gallons are ideal since they give you more room for decorations, are more stable to maintain, and are just easier to care for.
    A betta, like other fish, also needs to have a cycled tank. Are you planning to seed the new tank with some media from your established one?

P.S. Welcome to the Betta World :p

EDIT: WOW :jawdrop: Double Ninja'd!!!

9. Furallicah

Lol sorry Click and Red...I got first this time....*Ninjas away*...........:;bmu

10. OP
    OP
    w

ok thanks

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats Wonton!

I hope you share some photos with us if you can :)
    Have a good weekend!
    Ken

12. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

13. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've merged your two threads as I think it will be a lot less confusing for other members since it's dealing with the same fish and both are requesting advice for the same fish.
    Thanks!
    Ken

15. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on winning Wonton :D

16. OP
    OP
    w

thamks!

17. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Congrats Wonton, I'm so jealous, I would never have won that...

Furallicah has you covered, very concise info. Follow this and you'll have a happy little betta who will dance for food and get all excite over the smallest little things, they are a very good laugh and trust me, you'll be very surprised at how much they'll get up to by themselves and you'll be sharing stories in no time.

18. Furallicah

Tigerfishy is right once you fall for a betta thats it....lol they are the lovable heart stealing fish.

19. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Oops, was I that obvious haha?!

20. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Welcome!

Welcome to FL!!!:;hi2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice