I Woke Up This Morning And My Tetras Have Lost Their Colour

Shannonnn.22

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 5 cardinal tetras and they are usually very bright and colourful. I woke up this morning and all of their red has disappeared, is something wrong ?

Attachments

GlamCrab

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some fish loose color when they sleep, give them a few minutes and see if it comes back.

OP
S

Shannonnn.22

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive had them for about a week now, tank has been set up for about 4 weeks, including the 1 that they have been in it. All I had right now is 5in 1 test strips and those are coming up fine.

Okay maybe that was it because I do shut the light off st night.

Susiefoo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, my mountain minnows are the same and it freaked me out the first time I turned the light on in the morning, they were pale as ghosts. (Usually I turn the light on later in the day so there is just natural light first thing, so I hadn't noticed it before). I know that neons do the same so I assume cardinals too. If they have coloured up since and are otherwise acting normally, and your water parameters are fine, I wouldn't worry.

Jayhawk29

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Happens with my neon tetras until they have been exposed to light for again for a little while

Genghis Karp

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, common with Cardinals and Neons. If you've done your tests and all is good it's surely the lights.

tokiodreamy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My neons get pale during the night and early morning. It's natural from lack of light. You should be fine!

Cowfish928

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Most fish (In my experience) change color when you turn on the lights, they become lighter, because it is a bit stressful, since the light is so sudden. They should be fine.

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
All of my tetras lose their color when they sleep. After the light turns back on for 5 minutes, their color is back.

Do you have your light on a timer? If so, something kinda cool happens.

They start to lose their color about 30 minutes before bedtime. I think it's pretty cool how their body timer does that.

New Threads