I Will Never Buy Plants From Petco/smart Again

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by BettaMaxx, Apr 18, 2019.

1. BettaMaxxValued MemberMember

Snail free what a joke! I've pulled 6 bladder snail out of my tank in the past 2 weeks after picking up a second java fern, anubias, and marimo moss ball. Hopefully I am spotting them small enough before they lay new eggs.

Any idea how big they need to get before laying eggs? The ones I'm pulling out are tiny, not any bigger than 1/16 inch or 1.5~2mm. I feel like I am constantly on guard watching the tank for tiny movement. Luckily I have sand substrate to see but I don't have good viewing of the back of the tank. I really do not want to have to do a tear down.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I think they are born pregnant. Like tribbles (Star Trek)

3. BettaMaxxValued MemberMember

:(

lol tribble reference;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  4. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

You are only getting the ones you see. I wrote up a complete story of all the things I did to try and get rid of them. I ended up moving my fish to my QT and dosed my tank with copper. It did a job on my plants. Some died but I got rid of them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. BusterBot28Valued MemberMember

I was treating my tank with copper for ick and my snail population exploded! I had 12 or so snails one day and over 150 the next(I counted) and in a week I think they are creeping on 300. But recently I saw some baby assassin snails that must have been with the same plants sooooooooo. The assasin snails are cool!

Edit: sorry that is not covering you OP. I found from a couple tests I did with snails that they lay when they get about a 1/4 inch in size so I don’t think yours (even though they aren’t the same snail) shouldn’t be laying yet!

6. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

Copper will kill snails. I dosed for 2 weeks at a high level. I have a thread detailing everything. You have to dose over 2 weeks. Copper will not kill snail eggs and they take 2 weeks to hatch. So dosing over 2 weeks is needed. The dosage was so high my fish would have died. What you treated your tank with for ick is nowhere near the level I had in my tank. My way is drastic but it works.

7. FahnFishlore VIPMember

You could just learn to live with the snails as they do more good than harm.

8. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

9. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

I don't want snails. Why would I live with something I don't like. Now I know to dip all new plants in bleach before planting them in the tank. Would you put a fish in your tank that you don't like. One that has fry. Assassin snails propagate. .

10. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Most people have an overreaction in regards to snails. That includes ramshorns and bladders. Later on, many realize they're not nearly as bad as they feared.

11. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Take a bottle. Put algae wafers in it and set it in the tank overnight. The next morning the bottle should be full of snails. Discard the contents and reset the trap until you see no snails.

12. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Like fishin' for crawdads.

13. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

It doesn't work. Traps don't work. The eggs are still present if you do catch all the snails which you will not. I tried traps. Did not work. There is only 2 ways. You break the tank down completely and do a bleach dip on your plants. Treat the sand and or gravel. And I have heard that that doesn't work sometimes. Or high dosage of copper. Which does a job on your plants and takes around a month. I choose copper and it worked great.

14. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

If you have a snail large quantity problem, you are overfeeding.
    Before I hear all the stories, they can be overfed by dead and dying plant and animal too.

15. Jack B NimbleValued MemberMember

I use a tote as a quarantine tank and put plants in it first. Bough some dwarf sag and yes they said snail free, well I have noticed 3 different types of snails in that quarantine tank and its was new so absolutely they had snails. If anyone says snail free at a store its probably a lie.

16. ghostlybosunWell Known MemberMember

Never did get around to trying this for my pond snails but I keep saying I will:

Apparently it doesn't just kill planaria it also kills snails. Various posts I've read on other forums explained that it worked for them but they had to do a couple treatments. Basically kill snails and then treat again in a couple weeks or something when the next round of eggs hatches.
    No one reported losses of fish, shrimps, or plants.

17. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

For new plants take a gallon of water and put a cap full of bleach in the water. Take plants and submerge plants and swish in water for a 10 count. After doing to all new plants take plants and swish in tank water in bucket or water from faucet treated with conditioner. It seemed to work so far. Possibility that the bleach may kill your plants. None died so far.

18. BettaMaxxValued MemberMember

Thanks for this info. I knew I should've looked into plant dips but alas got lazy and just did the look over :/

I am not opposed to snails; I have a tiger nerite in there now. But it's only a 5 gal so I really don't think being overrun is a good idea. I moved the snails I find to a small "snail ecosphere" (not really a sphere, just a pretty glass container with sand, rock, and moss ball). My coworkers get a kick out of the snail jar.

19. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

1. I decided long ago to not get anything living (plants and fish) from big box stores. Snails are the least of my worry lol.
    2. Most fish stores have snails in their plant tank too.

The easiest fix for snails is to have a puffer tank and treat snail hitchhikers as gifts.

20. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember