I was told by my local fish shop Help

1. passion336 Initiate Member

Hello everyone who is getting anoyed will all my questions lol sorry

I was told by my local fish shop that my fish are proberly used to the high nitrate level and you have to ween them off it ? so she suggested to do a 30-40% water change every 2 days? is this pebble dash?

kind regards

and a special thank you for the people who have helped me already

2. click Well Known Member Member

What is your current nitrate reading?

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

In my opinion, it's probably a good idea to take it slowly. A quick water quality change can cause shock in the cells.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

We're not annoyed with too many questions. :)
    Ask as many as you need, the members are always happy to help.

If I understand your previous posts, you're also trying to get the ammonia under control and getting the green x out?
    If they are used to a high level of nitrates or poor water conditions a big change can harm your fish, even if it's a change for the better. In that way the shop keeper is correct.
    Personally, I wouldn't wait every two days.
    Maybe go for 2 25% changes a day. That way they're still small changes.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that's a new one to me. Very high nitrate levels will kill your fish over time. What are your current readings? I would not considder 30-40% changes every other day to be weening off. BUt it would be a lot better than doing a single 80% change if your tank water parameters are much different than your source water.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the forum is what asking is all about..but do remember, you have a BUNCH of things going on and I think the nitrates are your least worries

please members know that the OP has a few threads going on

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-beginners/59137-very-ill-tank.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...193-my-guppys-front-fins-have-gone-black.html

and IMO , just getting the tank cycled will help go a long way!!

I agree also..a nitrate shock can be just as bad as a huge difference in ph ....acclimate slowly ...but the OP has had the fish in the tank and its not new fish coming from high to low or visa versa nitrates..

7. click Well Known Member Member

Oh, now I remember the other posts. Unfortunately I am very bad with names and rarely make connections between different posts from the same member (sign of old age? :;sh) unless they have a very obvious avatar (like Lucy's cat in a tank, lol).

Like said before, don't be shy to ask. I'm still posting questions regarding different issues that happen to appear out of nowhere and I know some of the fellow forum members have encounter them before and have a good advice at hand.