Question I Was Thinking Of Trying Fiddler Crabs, Difficult To Keep?

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Was considering a bird a few weeks ago but the hubby is not so much into that for the moment since we just adopted 2 kittens a month and a half ago (we already have a dog, 1 senior cat and 2 aquariums). I'd still like to get some kind of new pet that I have never kept before & I realized I have a good spot for a small aquarium, say 10 gallons. And since fish options for such a small tank are somewhat limited (already have a betta) I was wondering about some type of crab and fiddler crabs appealed to me since their habitats include sand and brackish water. Plus I think they are cute as all get out and interesting. I've done some research so far and there seems to be conflicting information about how well they do in captivity and how difficult they are to keep. Some sites say easy to care for and live 2-3 years, others say difficult to care for and rarely live more than a few months as they don't tolerate captivity well. I don't want to bring some poor crabs into my home only to have them not do well and die despite having great care. I was interested in any opinions or information, experiences that anyone has to share. I plan on doing tons more research before I do anything but would love to hear from anyone with some experience with these guys. Also if you know of any reliable sites where I can get good information that would be great too. Thanks in advance! :emoji_crab:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was considering a bird a few weeks ago but the hubby is not so much into that for the moment since we just adopted 2 kittens a month and a half ago (we already have a dog, 1 senior cat and 2 aquariums). I'd still like to get some kind of new pet that I have never kept before & I realized I have a good spot for a small aquarium, say 10 gallons. And since fish options for such a small tank are somewhat limited (already have a betta) I was wondering about some type of crab and fiddler crabs appealed to me since their habitats include sand and brackish water. Plus I think they are cute as all get out and interesting. I've done some research so far and there seems to be conflicting information about how well they do in captivity and how difficult they are to keep. Some sites say easy to care for and live 2-3 years, others say difficult to care for and rarely live more than a few months as they don't tolerate captivity well. I don't want to bring some poor crabs into my home only to have them not do well and die despite having great care. I was interested in any opinions or information, experiences that anyone has to share. I plan on doing tons more research before I do anything but would love to hear from anyone with some experience with these guys. Also if you know of any reliable sites where I can get good information that would be great too. Thanks in advance! :emoji_crab:
If you provide a good environment for them-- cycled tank, lots of safe places to explore, areas they can get completely out of the water, some driftwood, a balanced, varied diet, adequate calcium and minerals and a tight fitting cover on the tank, fiddler crabs usually do fine in an aquarium. They like to explore and will escape through the smallest of holes.

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you provide a good environment for them-- cycled tank, lots of safe places to explore, areas they can get completely out of the water, some driftwood, a balanced, varied diet, adequate calcium and minerals and a tight fitting cover on the tank, fiddler crabs usually do fine in an aquarium. They like to explore and will escape through the smallest of holes.
Thank you I appreciate the info. I'll continue with my research, even if I don't end up getting some at least I'll have learned a bunch about some very neat little creatures!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you I appreciate the info. I'll continue with my research, even if I don't end up getting some at least I'll have learned a bunch about some very neat little creatures!
I had them in the past. They are tons of fun! My kids used to laugh and say the fiddlers were "throwing gang signs" when they'd get up on a rock and start waving their claws around lol!

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had them in the past. They are tons of fun! My kids used to laugh and say the fiddlers were "throwing gang signs" when they'd get up on a rock and start waving their claws around lol!
That is funny. I have watched some videos and can see that they would be so fun. I am really looking forward to my research, going to be a good time! Thanks for passing on your memories of them.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is funny. I have watched some videos and can see that they would be so fun. I am really looking forward to my research, going to be a good time! Thanks for passing on your memories of them.
One other funny story. My son is now an adult but had to get another fiddler crab. He'd had "Banjo" for a year when he called and said he couldn't find the crab anywhere in the tank. A few days later he called and said he'd found Banjo just sitting on the bottom of the tank, dead. He was quite upset and he and his wife placed the little guy in an old small jewelery box and ceremoniously buried him under a rosebush in the garden. A week went by and I got another phone call. My son said "Mom! I found Banjo!" Apparently, the crab had shed his skin and gone into hiding (as they do after shedding) and my son and his wife had buried Banjo's shed skin! I laughed so hard my eyes leaked!

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I second the tight fitting tank! We had 2 when I was a kid in a 25 gallon tank with a solid lid and both of them managed to get out at least once. One of them my dad found on the rug (alive) and the other one was probably eaten by our cat. I imagine the lids have improved slightly since +20 years ago, because you will definitely need one.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom