I was getting ready to post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder_o_b, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

that two of my young angels might be ready to spawn. But I can't post that.
    I just looked into the 44gal and they HAVE SPAWNED :;banaman

They chose one of the leaves on the Anubis, and of course, it is at a rotten angle to photograph.

No matter how many times it happens, it is just as exciting as the first time. I hope that they are viable, and not two ladies (I have had that happen every so often) We'll know in a day or two. I will post photos if I can figure out how to do it, and if the eggs survive in a tank with several other fish.

I have taken several shots and the angle is imposable. I will not use the flash on new spawn, especially their first one. They are accustomed to having their picture taken, so after the eggs hatch I should be able to use the flashes (never seemed to bother other angels in the past).

Stay tuned fish lovers :D

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Hey congratulations!;)

3. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you Tigress Hill :)

4. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

i know what you mean by it being just as exciting every time. my dad has gotten sick of me running down the stairs declaring that the angels have laid eggs and then casually going back upstairs, lol.

5. Bettalover99

Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Excellent job! I have been told this is a hard species to successfully breed !

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

My parents are the same but with mystery snails not angels xD they just don't understand the epicness!

7. Quinn_Lamb98

are we talking about the same fish? p. scalare right?

8. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

9. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Well, either you get it or you don't :) for us watching the miracle of live unfold never gets old.

Thank you Bettalover :)
    I'll tell you how I do it. I buy a group of four to eight very young ones, and let them pair off on their own. The water is set at ph 6.4-6.6, the temp is 84f, the tank is well planted and established (this one has not been broken done it the eight years it has been set up) so there is plenty of microbial yummys for the newly hatched fry, then on to live newly hatched brine shrimp. As soon as the fish seemed to have paired off
    I do a 30% water change-that seems to trigger spawning (works real well for the Cory's as well)

Yup.

Thank you Ryan :)

I took some more shots last night, but the IQ is rather low (no flash, and did not want to push my luck trying to get a better angle) I'll post them when I get home.

Thank you for the link, I am sure it will be most helpful.

10. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I just got home from work, I tried a different lens and ran the ISO to 4000. I think I may have some passable shots. Gotta eat, then I post pros them and post.

11. AlanGreene

AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

That's great friend!

12. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Ok, last time you had passable shots we all saw Kuhli loaches in ways we never have before. POST THEM.

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Congrats!

14. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you Alen :)

See below:)

Thank you pirahnah :)

Ok, I won't go into the tech flaws in these shots. They are not about that. Something as special as new life is to be shared and celebrated. These two are turning out to be good parents. They even challenge me at the glass. They are for sure a male and female. There around 15% unfertilized eggs, not bad for a first try.

After the eggs hatch, but before the fry become free swimming I will do what I need to get better shots, but not before I am sure that it will not threaten the babies.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  15. Quinn_Lamb98

if they are their first spawn then chanses are they will not last long, but they just may if the angels are soul mates.

16. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I am not concerned about the happy couple eating their young as much as the other residents of the tank. Sadly I have nowhere to move the babies, all our tanks are at or near capacity.

17. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

The eggs are hatching.

18. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Your female is just stunning. Wow! Congrats!

19. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you Everythingzen :)

Mama is moving the babies as I type this. I am hoping that I can get some good shots. So far the shots of the fry are not worth posting, but I'll keep at it:)

20. Meeps83

Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Double like! I'm sure your idea of not worth posting would be an awesome shot in most of our minds :)