55 Gallon Tank I want weeds--suggestions please??

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd like some suggestions for fast growing, low maintainance, high-light plants. I'm also looking for plants that are known to discourage algae more so than others. Is that possible?

You can see what I've already got in the tank (the 55gal) in my info. I'd like to avoid anything that melts or sheds--remember, low maintainance!! Thanks for the help!! ;D

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ambulia (Limnophila Indica) is always a good one. So is Sunset Hygro (Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset') & Green Hygro (Hygrophila Corymbosa). Trimming the tops every couple of weeks is the only maintenance needed for those 3 plants. Water Sprite is great for removing nutrients from water if it is left floating. Duckweed & Frogbit will also remove lots of nutrients as well as block out some extra light if that is a problem for you.

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into them, especially the frogbit, it sounds interesting. I have duckweed and it's a pain in the butt to manage because it's so small, but frogbit looks like a bigger alternative. I do think light is part of the problem.

sik80

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
depends what you mean by high light? above 2 watts per gallon is high generally - do you have this?

i'd definately recommend wisteria (hygrophila difformis) as its very easy to grow and sucks up lots of nutrients with the roots on the stems

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore sik80.

In the blue box to the left of each post are the word "Aquarium Info" highlighted in a darker blue. If you click on the words a little pop up will appear with information about the posters aquarium. In Chrises case, she has 4 x 54w T5HO lights over a 55gal long. There is also a list of plants in the tank, on which Water Wisteria is already listed. This is a VERY high light tank.

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, really high light! Although, I only use one set of the lights, which is two bulbs--I think I'll make note of that in my info.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, sik80! I like my wysteria. And welcome to Fishlore!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppy Grass is almost uncontrolable also...I don't know the proper name for it. I makes a wonderful floating plant mass, also for fry , young fish and fish that need a rest now and then.

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up and got "Najas Guadalupensis" as the scientific name for Guppy Grass. I'll look into it.

Now where is a good place on the internet to buy these plants? Some place with cheap shipping.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shoot I just threw a bunch out last week. Pm your mailing info to me and I'll send some next week. I have enough to certainly spare a bit.

Edit: or this week!!!lol...I'm quite stressed today and didn't know what day today was!!!!!

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would appreciate that very much! It was the only thing I couldn't find being sold at the site I'm buying from. I'll pm you in just a minute.

(I often don't know what day it is, either. lol)

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, I just put in an order and that was on it. I read that it's thought that hornwort releases a chemical to kill or deter algae. Don't know if that's true but I hope it is!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom