55 Gallon Tank I Want To Try Rummynose Again, But I'm Scared...

Lucus Tate

So I bought 5 rummy nose to add to my tank. It had been setting at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and ~5 nitrate for weeks with my stock. I do 25-50% water changers weekly. They were fine for a few days, but around this time I had noticed my water getting cloudy, so I added algaefix API. Next thing I know all of my fish are acting strange. I tested my water and found an ammonia spike. I did a 90% water change, but the rummynose never recovered. They died, one a day for the next 5 days.

I believe the dead algae released ammonia and caused the death. I've been leaving my lights off more and the cloudiness isn't as bad, but I will not be using the algaefix again.

Should I try rummy nose again? Ph has been at 6.8, temp is 76, 0 ammonia/nitrite, 5 nitrate. I eventually want 15-25 rummynose and then 2 angelfish.

Current Stock
6 peppered Cory cats
2 Dwarf Gouramis
2 bristlenose plecos
A few unidentified pest snails (I like 'em)

AquaticJ

I would blame the Algaefix completely, it probably killed a fish that started to rot or it affected your bacteria. I can’t see dead algae causing an ammonia spike.

I don’t mean to ruin your hopes and dreams but those Peppered Cories are going to cause incompatibility issues. Let me know if you want to discuss.

Lucus Tate

Go ahead and crush my dreams lol. I originally wanted Panda Cories, but was told they were too cold for angel tank.

abarb

What size is your tank? You might want to switch to corydoras aeneus or sterbaI for the angelfish.

Lucus Tate

It is a 55 gallon.

AquaticJ

Good call abarb! I was going to say that Pepper Cories are also cold water. Rummynose and Angels do best around 78-84 (I keep my Rummynose at 84 with Rams), and Gourami’s want to be 78-82. Way too warm for most Cory species. As abarb said, SterbaI and aeneus are good choices for warm water Cories.

Lucus Tate

Hrm. Alright, I'll look into doing some rearranging and more planning.

Can you recommend a good online resources for different fish tank conditions? My Google searches find temperatures all over the place, and I don't know which to trust.

Sharkesse

I feel you on Rummynoses, I adore them (I compare them to Zebra Finches with their red beaks/noses and checkered tails ) but they are so sensitive to water conditions in my experience. Not many seem to survive for me.

I currently have 5, one of which is a diamondback subspecies (at least that's what it was sold to me as. Looks the same as a normal Rummynose but has a beautiful sparkly stripe along the spine)

My guys seem okay with around 26C (78F) and seem happy enough. I'd have loved a bigger school, they make great indicators for when things are wrong with your tank.

I'm not sure on tank conditions, but I tend to use Spruce Pets for advice, not sure if it will help.

Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ElAvayarde80
Replies
Views
DioAquatics
Replies
Views
Level99Fishing