I want to know scientific name of my moontail molly?

AamirAlfaiz

I want to know scientific name of my moontail molly Please?

CHJ

I'd say Poecilia Sphenops
They are bred to have all kinds of different looks but all fall under the same name. This means trade names may be more useful in finding the fish you want than scientific name are.
Canis Domesticus covers all domestic dogs, which also vary greatly in appearance.

emeraldking

How about a photo?

MacZ

I'd say Poecilia Sphenops
They are bred to have all kinds of different looks but all fall under the same name. This means trade names may be more useful in finding the fish you want than scientific name are.
Canis Domesticus covers all domestic dogs, which also vary greatly in appearance.
Almost. For strainbred varieties you can add "var. + (name)". It's more common among botanists, but it's becoming more and more frequent in fishkeeping due to the number of domestic strains available nowerdays. You can only use this for standard defined and stable strains.
So e.g. Apistogramma cacatuoides forms like "double red" or "triple red" can not be named that way, as they are not defined and distinct from one another, while Trichogaster lalius var. "powder blue" would at least be possible (just nobody uses it.)

Jonahtheplecolvr

It's scientific name is Poecilia sphenops

AamirAlfaiz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211226-183314_MX Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-183314_MX Player.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 7

emeraldking

Looking at the bodyshape and finnage (not specicfically looking at the caudal for that trait can also be bred into another molly species), it belongs to the Poecilia sphenops.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Moonee
Replies
Views
angelcraze
  • Question
  • Jennvon1961