I want to give my fish away, help

Sybris

I had 3 guppies and the one died for no reason. They have been so stressful to me and I don't want the other two to die. I am much better with bettas, so I want to give my 2 guppies up. However, I don't feel comfortable giving my information out, I don't want them to die on my little niece when I don't know how to perfectly take care of them, and I can't ship them. So I'm very limited to giving them to a store. My LPS gave me a paper saying they do not take fish after 3 days and they must be acclimated a certain way. It's been more than 3 days and I didn't do what they told me to, just how I always do. So I'm stuck between PetCo and PetSmart. Will they take fish and rehome them? I don't care about being payed back. Are there any better options I looked over? Thanks.

el337

I don't know about Petco but PetSmart has a 14 day return policy. Has it been more than that?

Nicholas1234

Petco might take them mine does though they charge around a dollar a fish my Petsmart doesn't take fish though aside from the 14 day return policy they have on all fish bought from them so I'd try Petco.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Junne

Most petsmart and Petco will not take fish back unless it was sold by them. You can call the stores and ask. Have you tried seeing any lfs stores around or you can advertise it here on FL for someone who lives close by and you can meet them half way?

Aquaphobia

Is there someone you know who can be the intermediary and meet a prospective new owner on your behalf?

Sybris

Most petsmart and Petco will not take fish back unless it was sold by them. You can call the stores and ask. Have you tried seeing any lfs stores around or you can advertise it here on FL for someone who lives close by and you can meet them half way?

I got my fish from a store that is only in my area. It literally has the counties name in it.
However, I called PetCo and PetSmart. PetSmart said no, PetCo said they would, but I wouldn't be payed (like I expected). I'll be taking them there, then. I'm going to completely empty my tank and change the substrate and filter and such just to make sure there is nothing in my tank which will infect the betta I get. I'll make this my first fishless cycle, then since I'm a poor college student.
Thank you guys a bunch! I feel really bad for giving them up, I hope they have someone who can do a better job than me.

el337

If the two remaining guppies are healthy, why not keep them and see how they do? Is your tank cycled? What are the parameters?

FeederGuppies

I jut want to warn you, if you give them to Petco there is a 50/50 chance they go to an owner that knows how to take care of them, not an owner that will throw them into an uncycled tank, or even a bowl.......

New Fish in Town

You can always use craigslist in these situations and question the person you give them to to make sure they know what they are doing. Then meet them in a public place and give them away.

purslanegarden

It might have just been an unhealthy guppy. You are probably a good enough fish lover to be the owner and caretaker of them.

Sybris

If the two remaining guppies are healthy, why not keep them and see how they do? Is your tank cycled? What are the parameters?

I want to test the parameters, I haven't been able to because I worked to 11 and only found out I had a dead fish when I needed to get ready and today I worked and am currently not home. I will when I get back. The tank should be cycled, but I threw off my bettas cycle by accident. The other two act completely normal. My betta reacted when the ammonia spiked and I have not seen this happen to the guppies. They seem no different since I got them except they're bigger. I'll update parameters when I can. I just don't think I do as well with guppies as I do with bettas, plus I prefer my betta over my guppies. I want that connection with my fish, so I guess I'm just more into the soloers.

FeederGuppies - I do fish-in cycles though. So having them in an uncycled is fine to me, as long as they know how to do it. I'm hoping they do land with someone who knows what they're doing. I feel bad for having to give them up, I'm just stressed and can't give them as much care as I should.

New Fish - I don't like giving out information and there was recently a shooting extremely close to where I live. Maybe at my home, but not while I'm at college. The town has a ton of places specifically for college students outside of campus. Sure, I feel safe enough to walk to and from work and such, but I don't feel safe meeting with a random stranger up here.

Zoara42

New Fish - I don't like giving out information and there was recently a shooting extremely close to where I live. Maybe at my home, but not while I'm at college. The town has a ton of places specifically for college students outside of campus. Sure, I feel safe enough to walk to and from work and such, but I don't feel safe meeting with a random stranger up here.

Would you feel comfortable maybe having a friend go with you to a local grocery station or gas station or something? I know sometimes when I buy from Craigslist, the seller asks me to meet at a third place so they don't risk inviting a stranger into their home.

Kislat

Petco where I'm from doesn't take fish. Petsmart here will refund within the 14 day period but will always take fish without giving you money. Same goes for petvalu if there is one near you. Good luck!

ssschultz

I've always wondered if I bring a fish in a bag and leave it on the fish counter are they just going to not take it?

Csk12

I know for a fact that the Petco where I live (San Diego) absolutely will take your fish if they are in good health and most importantly, they have room to take it for no charge.

Fish purchased from this particular Petco has a 30 day return policy (dead or alive!!) basically if the fish is brought back a refund is given or the fish is replaced with another

New Fish in Town

Would you feel comfortable maybe having a friend go with you to a local grocery station or gas station or something? I know sometimes when I buy from Craigslist, the seller asks me to meet at a third place so they don't risk inviting a stranger into their home.

In some states the cops will help you do the sale with one of them standing near by.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yeti79
Replies
Views
TikiBird
Replies
Views
marshall1019
Replies
Views