15 Gallon Tank I want to change the filter on a 58L (~15gal) aquarium. Looking for suggestions

LillyTS97

Right now I have:
- Betta Splendens
- Ancistrus (x3) (still babies, I will move them to the bigger aquarium once they grow)
- Vitinna Waigiensis (x2)
- Stiphodon Semoni Cobalt Blue Goby (x3) (still babies, I will move them to the bigger aquarium once they grow)
- Neocaridina Davidi var “Blue Jelly” (x1) (will add 5 more eventually this one strayed from the group when I tried to move them, and I can't find them, I just know they are there and still alive because I sometimes see their molts)
- Neritina Natalensis (x3)
and for plants:
- Staurogine Repends
- Hornwort

I have an internal filter that came with the aquarium at the moment and I was thinking maybe a HOB.
I want one that won't suck up my shrimp if they have shrimplets.
Thank you!

Chanyi

SouthAmericanCichlids

Sponge filters won't suck up shrimp/lets and will provide a food source for babies. And if you have something to hide it behind, the only evidence that you have a filter is the airline tube.

RayClem

I second the recommendation for using a prefilter sponge on the intake tube. Otherwise your shrimp will get sucked up. In most cases, I recommend using oversized filters. However, with shrimp in the tank, you need to limit the flow rate.

For a 15 gallon tank, a cannister filter is overkill. There is nothing wrong with it other than the initial cost. Any HOB filter rated for around 100 gallons per hour would be fine. Every brand has both advantages and disadvantages, so you need to see which works best for you.

I have used HOB filters from Aquaclear, Tetra Whisper, Aqueon, Penn Plax Cascade, Marineland Penquin, and several others. Two new designs that look good are the Fluval C filters which is similar in design to the Aquaclear. Fluval and Aquaclear are sister companies owned by Hagen. Seachem Tidal filters also have a lot of nice features. However, I have not used them .

The one advantage of the Aquaclear filters is that they come with a filter sponge rather than disposable filter cartridges. If you do purchase a filter that comes with cartridges, either cut a piece of filter sponge or filter pad to replace the cartridge. Sponges and pads can be rinsed out numerous times before you have to replace them Every time you replace a filter cartridge, you are tossing out a lot of your beneficial bacteria. So most experienced fishkeepers do not like using cartridges. Besides, they are expensive.

mattgirl

A pre-filter sponge on the intake tube should keep your babies out of a HOB filter. Just move all the media from your internal filter over to the HOB and you should be good to go. Or you could run both filters for at least a month and then remove the internal and still move the media over if there is enough room for it in the HOB.

LillyTS97

Chanyi said:
Any filter will suck up shrimplets - I like to use Fluval's intake sponge.
You can't beat aquaclear HOB filters.
I would personally go with an Eheim 2213 canister filter with a Fluval Intake sponge.
Thank you for the recommendations I do have an aquaclear 70 with an intake sponge on my other aquarium :smile:

RayClem said:
I second the recommendation for using a prefilter sponge on the intake tube. Otherwise your shrimp will get sucked up. In most cases, I recommend using oversized filters. However, with shrimp in the tank, you need to limit the flow rate.
For a 15 gallon tank, a cannister filter is overkill. There is nothing wrong with it other than the initial cost. Any HOB filter rated for around 100 gallons per hour would be fine. Every brand has both advantages and disadvantages, so you need to see which works best for you.
I have used HOB filters from Aquaclear, Tetra Whisper, Aqueon, Penn Plax Cascade, Marineland Penquin, and several others. Two new designs that look good are the Fluval C filters which is similar in design to the Aquaclear. Fluval and Aquaclear are sister companies owned by Hagen. Seachem Tidal filters also have a lot of nice features. However, I have not used them .
Have you ever used Sunsun CBG-500 or CBG-800 both with UV?

mattgirl said:
pre-filter sponge on the intake tube should keep your babies out of a HOB filter. Just move all the media from your internal filter over to the HOB and you should be good to go. Or you could run both filters for at least a month and then remove the internal and still move the media over if there is enough room for it in the HOB.
Thank you for the recommendations, I do have also a sponge filter on my shrimp only tank at the moment, I could move the media to my new HOB if I end up getting one and use the sponge filter as well in the mean time. :smile:

RayClem

LillyTS97 said:
Have you ever used Sunsun CBG-500 or CBG-800 both with UV?
I have not used the Sunsun/Grech HOB filters. However, I do have a Sunsun HW-3000 canister filter. I love the design, but have only had it in service for about a month, so I do not know how reliable it will be.

The CBG filters look like they are well designed with one exception. There isn't a separate power cord for the UV light. There is a manual switch so you can turn the light on and off, but I would rather put it on a timer so it turns on and off automatically. That may or may not be a disadvantage for others.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom