I want to build a stand for my 30G long tank

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by annewaldron, Apr 21, 2012.

1. annewaldron

annewaldronValued MemberMember

I'm up at 2am because I'm in a panic about building a stand for my 30G long tank.

I have it in my head that I'd like this stand to be 33" high, and now I'm in a cold sweat because I worry about how top-heavy this might be. I understand how the sides of the tank need to be sitting on the weight-bearing walls (or frame), and that the whole thing needs to be perfectly level, and I'm planning for my base to be an inch wider all around, but this stand will be on carpet, and well, I'm worried.

Any advice, suggestions, warnings, resources for building my own stand? I don't like the store stands because they're way too short.

2. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGAWell Known MemberMember

dont stress about just go slow. I made one out of 2x4s it was ugly but did its job. Check out craigslist also if your worried about it holding. 2x4s are very very strong :)

3. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

As I lay here awake I've been looking online (how did I ever survive without an iPhone?) and found a couple photographic how-tos about building a sturdy frame from 2x4s and laying paneling over it to finish it (and even throwing on a pre-fab door if I want). I guess I'm just worried about a 300lb mass sitting 33" off the floor. I saw a how-to that included a foot at the bottom for extra stability. Wondering if that's necessary since this will be on carpet.

Edited to add: I see yours are all well over 30G tanks- you're probably chuckling at my worry! : )

4. CichlidSWAGA

haha well i did not build the one for my 125g or my 60g i did build one for my 29g i later bought a nice one off of CL. Also to give you more confidence guess what a lot of your house is build out of (2x4s) and I'm sure you don't worry about that structure haha. Just make a good base and you can nail a bunch more 2x4s on that, and after your confident it will hold then you can pretty it up

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Let me tell you, those 2x4s can stand a lot of weight. If you are worried about it tipping over why not attach the stand to the wall with a couple of screws as well.

As for leveling, they sell shims at the hardware store, just level the stand before you put the tank on it and then check a few times during the process. Your tank will settle into the carpet over the next few days so a check after a few days would be the final IMO

A nice 2x4 stand covered in good looking sheathing is a really nice thing to stare at, especially if you stain it a nice color that accents the natural grain of some of that sheathing.

6. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

We have built 2 stands at my house. one has a 55 on top and a 10 on the bottom and the other will have either a 30 or 40 gallon breeder with a 29 on bottom.

7. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

My boyfriend who is a woodworking hobbyist, thinks that a 2 x 4-framed stand is total overkill. He believes it can be framed well with 2 x 2s and offer more than adequate support.

Does the weight of a 2 x 4 frame add significantly to the structural stability? Is there a weight-bearing-over-time element that needs to be considered in building a stand that 2 x 4s would accomplish?

I don't want to argue with a woodworker, and I tend to be a bit worst-case-scenario about these things. He looked at some of the stands they sell at the aquarium shop and reminded me that some of those are made from 1/2" coated particle board, which I kind of can't argue...

8. Fish MongerValued MemberMember

If you take a close look at the ready made stands, I understand what your boyfriend is talking about; however, it certainly would make sense to error on the side overkill if you have major concerns about stability. The cost and labor factors aren't a big deal and you would have peace of mind. Sorry, buddy !

9. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Oh I agree on the side of caution but if that is the scenario why not use 6x6 PT lumber then.

I agree that a 2x2 would most likely do ya fine, even a 2x3 if you want a little more nailing edge. The 2x4 thou is sometimes cheaper depending on where you shop, so I would personally take a look at what overall cost difference would be, if it becomes a buck or two then heck overkill it but if it is significant I think you can make it smaller.

I refferenced 2x4s earlier because they are something easily to mentally picture and understand.

10. CichlidSWAGA

See what I mean no need to stress about it

11. croakerValued MemberMember

I build all my stands out of 3/4 inch plywood no 2 x 4 s.
    My 55 gallon is 32 inches high. It has been set up on this since 1988 with no problems.

12. Fall River

Fall RiverValued MemberMember

Whatever is used, 2x4, 2x2, etc, I'd suggest using construction adhesive and good, coarse thread screws.
    Also, as far as setting the stand on carpet, I had much the same thoughts about it being stable. I ended up attaching a 1/4"+ thick 1"x3 foot piece of wood on the front, bottom edge of the stand. It tilts the stand VERY slightly back toward the wall. It gives me peace of mind knowing my son can't accidentally pull the whole thing over on himself.
    Hope this is helpful. :)

13. OP
    OP
    annewaldron

Luckily I don't have kids, and nieces/nephews are old enough to know better!

14. KnightwatersNew MemberMember

Not arguing with anything anyone has said, however not one has giving u the obvious answer. If u r worried about the stability of it once u have it built, assuming it will be placed next to the wall all u have to do is anchor it to the wall using anchoring strap. The best is the metal and the appropriate screws. One on each side should do it. You can also attach one to the center of the top of the stand. All of wich will be attached to the wall behind and hidden inside your stand

15. mawelch74

mawelch74Valued MemberMember

The stand I have for my 30g is roughly 33" high and is made from 2x2s. It has no problems bearing the weight and one woulld have to go out of their way to tip it over. Maybe that will help you feel better about it.

16. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Actually, pirahnah mentioned attaching it to the wall with screws, which is pretty much the same idea ;)

I was talking with someone who lived through some of the larger earthquakes in California; apparently it's pretty common practice to screw tall furniture (curio cabinets, etc) to the well, since it beats the alternative of all the china ending up on the floor.

17. Sweet-lu84

Sweet-lu84New MemberMember

I typically take the approach of using something like a cheap cabinet, sturdy book shelving or storage cubbies and reinforcing the heck out of it with metal and PVC piping. Its worked for me thus far.

18. cwaNew MemberMember

I made my stand for very cheap using cinder blocks and 3/4" plywood. Not pretty, but nobody sees it under the tablecloth I covered it with and it is very solid! Blocks are about $1 each and the plywood around $10 but I had all the materials already so it cost me nothing. Just throwing it out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice