Help I want this betta

dkingston445

Reaction score
There is the most beautiful betta fish at my local Petco that I reeaally want but I currently don't have the cycled aquarium for it. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 guppies and 7 neon tetras which I am going to move all of into my 20 gallon aquarium (along with more fish) once it's cycled. My plan then is to remodel the 10 gallon and then have it as a betta tank. Should I buy the betta and keep it in the little container? or Do you think that the betta will still be at the store when my tanks are finished with cycling?? Thoughts??

Attachments

Best Answer - View Fishgirl6's answer

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cycling takes a good month to fully establish beneficial bacteria in the media if not already seeded. I would not buy him just to keep him in there for a month.. when someone could give him a home the next day. I know he is very beautiful, but its not a good idea to keep him without a heater/filter for a whole month. Bettas are pretty popular , so I doubt he will be there after a couple weeks. Just have patience with your cycle and you might find a more beautiful betta somewhere when your tank is ready :)

Fishgirl6

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
dkingston445 said:
There is the most beautiful betta fish at my local Petco that I reeaally want but I currently don't have the cycled aquarium for it. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 guppies and 7 neon tetras which I am going to move all of into my 20 gallon aquarium (along with more fish) once it's cycled. My plan then is to remodel the 10 gallon and then have it as a betta tank. Should I buy the betta and keep it in the little container? or Do you think that the betta will still be at the store when my tanks are finished with cycling?? Thoughts??
Hello. That is a very beautiful Betta indeed! I was in the same situation that you are in a few months ago. At my local fish store, the Bettas go fast so I had to grab mine fast and this is what I did to home him until my tank was ready.
What I did wasI bought a small cheap plastic aquarium that was around 3 gallons. I know it seems small but for one month if you kept up with proper maintenance I'm sure he would be alright.
I then also bought a cheap heater that worked well to keep the take at a consistent temperature. Instead of buying a new thermometer, I switched out mine from the other tank every day.
I scooped out a couple of handfuls of gravel from my other tank, rinsed and then put it in the tank for the betta. Because I had no filter I did regular water changes. If you wanted you could buy a small hide for your Betta to make him feel more comfortable, but I assume he would be fine without.
The bonus of keeping him in his own tank for a while is that you also quarantine him.
I know this is not an ideal home for your Betta but because it is a short period of time, I think that it would work.
I am by no means a professional but this is what I did and it worked great. I recommend you do whatever you feel is the best for the Betta.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that betta will be gone before your tank is ready it is show quality i can see why u want it u could get it but ask the shop for some extra aquarium water so u can put him in a bigger container till your tank is ready an ice cream container is better than the jar cheers john

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I bought a very large, clear glass cookie jar to keep my fish in until the aquarium was cycled. There are all sorts of things that you can do if you really want him. Just make sure that you are doing very frequent water changes if you put him into a container that is not a cycled tank. And he will need a heater for sure! Add some Indian almond leaf, too!

He is pretty awesome!

New Threads