I Want Shrimp!!

1. Tianda

Tianda New Member Member

Hello Fishmates!

I have a biiiig desire to own yellow shrimp! But... in another thread you guys told me that they would most definitely get eaten!

My stock:
    3 zebra danio (won't add more, are left over from old tank)
    17 cardinal tetra
    3 honey gourami
    1 Corydoras Aeneus (same as danio)

Want to add 8 cory pandas aaaannnnd 10 yellow shrimp..

So my question!

Which fish will eat the shrimp???

Thank you :p

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What is the tank size?
    Probably the honey gourami, but it doesn't look like any fish in the stocking can eat (somewhat large) shrimp.

3. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

From what I understand if they can fit them in their mouth they will be dinner. When I started I also had a big need for shrimp . But so did my 3 spot Gourami and Black Skirt Tetras. 1 small Black Skirt could only fit 1/3rd of the shrimp in its mouth and swam around with it until the others joined in. Live and Learn.

4. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Even if the whole shrimp won't fit in a fish's mouth, it doesn't mean they won't go after them. Some will happily eat them in chunks. I'd avoid housing them with most insectivores and give them lots of plants for cover. Java moss is pretty easy to find and care for, and shrimp love it.

Also, nearly all fish will eat newly hatched shrimp so if you want them to breed I'd suggest just setting up an inverts only tank.

5. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

How big is the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    Tianda

Tianda New Member Member

The tank is 32x16x16 (ish). Im from the Netherlands so we have the metric system haha, the measurements are rounded up a little. It's about 110 liters. Here's a picture! I plan on getting some green floating plants and get some more hiding 'tubes' with javamoss on them. Furthermore I will expand the red althernantera to a biiiig bush:)

Maybe some japonica shrimp then? Unfortunately I will be settling for less then imo.. maybe some good alternatives??

Btw, I love the fast responses!!

Attached Files:

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't be too worried about shrimp being eaten, none of those are huge predators. The baby yellow shrimp would be eaten, if they were caught, anyway. Amano shrimp would definitely be fine.

8. OP
    OP
    Tianda

Tianda New Member Member

Thank you! Maybe I should just try and see how it works out. I know, it would be expensive living food if they do get eaten but who knows! Maybe I feed my fish enough and they won't really care :) I will let you guys know!

9. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

You'll be fine. I keep a couple honey gouramis with my red cherry shrimp and they leave them alone. The babies will probably get eaten, but I always have plenty grow to adulthood. Your tank looks sufficiently planted enough for some to survive.

10. WishNixie

WishNixie Valued Member Member

I have zebra (well Glofish) danios, a male betta, and a dozen cardinal tetras.. and none of them, (that I know of anyway), eat my cherry reds.. and my ghost shrimp, which are larger, are certainly safe.. they walk around with no fear anyway, and everyone just leaves them be. I do have a lot of hiding spaces for them though.

11. OP
    OP
    Tianda

Tianda New Member Member

I will make sure they can hide! Thank you yet again, I will go get some in 2 weeks :D

12. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think they would be eaten. Even if they aren't they would hide most of the time because they will be scared that the fish eat them. You really get the best out of neocardinia shrimp by putting them in their own heavily planted tank. Amano shrimp would be fine but they grow to 2", a lot bigger than neocardinia shrimp.

13. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Not likely with her stocking. Neocaridinas aren't really shy at all. Mine eat along with the fish.