I want shrimp...

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Eienna, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I want some Crystal Red Cherry Shrimp, but would my angelfish and/or Rams or Featherfin or young clown loaches eat them?

EDIT: And how hard does the water have to be to keep them healthy?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Eienna,
    Don't worry about hardness, IME angels will make short work of shrimp. Rams would also enjoy the "challenge"

I tried, and I failed :(

A dedicated setup, or a community tank with small fish (mouths not big enough to swallow them, or an attitude to chase them) are your best bets.

Just my 2c.

3. OP
    OP
    Eienna

Okey dokey. Could I keep the shrimp with snails, or would they eat the snails?

4. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

your fish would love to snack on them, maybe a new tank just for shrimp :;toast

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Don't take my word for it, let's wait and see if others say the same first ;) (Maybe I had a bad experience :;dk)

But...

Shrimp and snails should be ok (I think, never [voluntarily] kept snails)

I know some keep RCS with bettas quite successfully, and you could also do "micro" fish, rasboras and the like with RCS/CRS. I can't recall if RCS/CRS will interbreed, but they can work with fish.

Maybe ask Amazon, Rogue, Zeez or Dino - I'm fairly certain they have a bit of experience with shrimp and fish together (maybe CichlidNut too :;dk)

6. OP
    OP
    Eienna

Thanks muchly. I'll wait and see if they drop in.

7. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i have shrimp in my 55 gallon small fish community and the fish still eat every shrimp they can lost 1 of about 15 (have tons of hidy places ) i havent seen a increase in population ether, so if you want to get a breeding group id say shrimp only is they way to go

8. L

Lou Bear New Member Member

I just got an angelfish and all the forums i look at say that he will eat my shrimp. He's small at the moment and would not be able to eat them yet but i've already seen him looking at them and chasing them. I'm sadly rehoming my shrimp now :(

9. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

All the fish you listed would munch on shrimp very quickly unfortunately. Species or invert only tanks work great. Or heavily planted with little fish or docile fish (like Ryan said) and an established colony.

10. OP
    OP
    Eienna

I think maybe I'll get a little 5g or something just for shrimp and snails.

11. T

TheFishAddict Valued Member Member

Christmas is comming:) The holiday thats feeds multi-tank-itis!:D

12. OP
    OP
    Eienna

Are you kidding? I'm still trying to get everything I need to keep my current tanks in good shape XDD

Not to mention set up the 100g....

13. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

5g is a good size for Shrimps.

I had over 100+ RCS in my 100g...and when I introduced my Angels...you can hardly see them anymore.

14. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like you got your question answered, but just to add my experience: I put two dozen ghost shrimp (larger than RCS in my 55 gallon and in about a month they're all gone. I happened to see one of the last ones swimming about and the rams were VERY aggressively going after him. When the rainbows saw the rams, they joined in too, until the whole tank was chasing him. He got away, but none of the others did, and I'm guessing by now he's probably gone to. I ALMOST got CRS instead, so I'm glad I just went with $0.33 ghosties or I'd be out a lot of money for a fish snack ;)

I had a shrimp tank and loved it. It was on my desk, so it was fun to watch them as a distraction from working ;) Mine was just a 2.5 gallon, so 5 gallons would be just fine.

15. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

If you really want shrimp in that tank, get amano shrimp and get big 2" ones, they are the toughest dwarf shrimp that I know of.

16. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I have a thriving colony or RCS in my 55 gallon Endlers tank. Perhaps I'm special :D

17. kinezumi89

Endlers have significantly smaller mouths than rams and angels :p I've seen my endlers nip at RCS, but never actually try and eat them. I wouldn't be surprised if they ate shrimplets, but I have enough plants and hiding spots for them. (Your RCS are doing very well btw; lots of babies and everyone is super bright red :))

18. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

i have both rcs and crs and they do not inter breed. i suggest you go for the 5 gallon (remember the bigger the tank the larger the colony). i have a 25 gallon that is lightly planted and it has been almost 2 months sense i started it and am just now starting to count little tiny shrimplets. i would start with just cherries and when you feel you have enough experiense get some lower grade crystals. the only reason i have crystal is because i guy offered 30 for 20 buckaroos just because i am joung and have much enthusiasim about my animals (helps that i live in the same area that is grandma did). the 5 gallon should be good but if you want to have a large colony (litterally hundreds) then woud get a bigger tank. snails and shrimp go fine together. also like the others said, don't keep fish with them, even ones that have really tiny mouth as they will eat the shrimplets and you will never get an extablished colony in the normal amount of time.

good luck and may your future and current tank prospure,

19. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I've got RCS from 3 separate sources. They are pretty diverse.

20. kinezumi89

Personally I think the lower grade CRS look better, since they have a more balanced amount of red and white. :) I like the grade S ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice