I want sand castles

1. str8shooter Member Member

I want to get a sand substrate for my bottom dwellers loaches, plecos, corys. Im not sure were to start to look for sand. I was wondering where I should look websites, stores and also if people could recommend brands or types that would be helpful:) thank you@)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Where do you live? Petco, Petsmart, and any LFS will have all kinds of aquarium sand. If you're going for a larger tank (which, given your stocking ideas, I certainly hope you are), Home Depot sells black diamond sand in 50 lb. bags. Pool sand is another common one to use.

3. str8shooter Member Member

Is black diomond sand really small granules. And will any pool filter sand be ok. Also I assume you clean sand the same way you clean gravel right? Thank you for the quick response:)

4. str8shooter Member Member

Also I am planning a 90 gallon
    The pleco is a bristle so he wont turn into a giant

5. TJBender Well Known Member Member

I've never actually used black diamond or pool sand, always gone with the stuff from the store, so I can't be of too much help there. :(

6. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

I purchased pool sand when we were looking for substrate for our 180. What I purchased was a gray, sandy brown - natural looking after a small amount was rinsed numerous times. I liked it but my husband preferred the white purchased from several fish stores. I like the white too - just choke at the price & amount it took for the tank.

We actually mixed several different brands different pet stores carried,

7. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I have pool filter sand is white/natural color. Is looks very nice and my cichlids love also I didn't even wash it before put it in the tank. Thas how clean it was.

8. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

I want your pool filter sand Leo☺

9. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, It was cheap $9.99 per 50 pound bag. I bought it at Leslie's pool supply store check only if you have one near you.

10. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

I've heard you have to stir sand around on a regular basis as well. Something about bacteria building up and making some kind of acid?

11. str8shooter Member Member

Do you know if a lowes or home depot or manarnds has decent filter sand

12. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I believe it's more of a gas that can kill the fish. What it's called in on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it. Maybe someone else can. But if you are keeping cories, they should keep it moved around enough that it shouldn't be a problem for you. Some people buy Malaysian trumpet snails to keep it stirred up for them. Or you can use things like chop sticks to move it around yourself.

13. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

My local ones didn't have any. Do you have a pool store near you?

14. atc84 Well Known Member Member

This is mostly common in DEEP sand beds (more than 5 inches), or dirted tanks with a small grained sand, because oxygen can't cycle through the substrate. hydrogen sulfide is a byproduct of anaerobic bacteria decomposing the organics in the dirt, or fish waste. By exposing oxygen to the substrate through moving it around with MTS or chopsticks, the anaerobic bacteria dies and is replaced by aerobic bacteria, which requires oxygen and doesn't release sulfiric acid.