I want new fish, what do i do?

Butters
I wanted peaceful schooling fish that looked cool, so I got my 5 black skirt tetras, they all looked calm and peaceful when I first got them. But now they have established their own little territories and whenever another one comes in, they attack it violently. The only time I see them together is when its feeding time, and after they eat, they just go back to their "countries" as I like to call them. I don't think I want them anymore and I want to know if I could take them to a pet store and give them to the store, I couldnt find anyone who would take them. and I most certainly don't want to flush them or just throw them away, so anything besides that would be fine.

I have a 10 gal. tank and I want to know if I would get 3 male guppys and a dwarf Gourami ( if that's how you spell it), would that work or would that just cause more problems? any help would be great!

sirdarksol
I think that the problem is size. A 10 gallon tank just isn't all that much swimming room for anything other than a single fish or a couple of really small ones.

You can sure check with a pet store and see if they'll take them. Otherwise, you can post them on Craigslist and see if someone will take them.

Butters
thanks for your help. if any one else out there can help me out, please do. thank you

Shawnie
I agree with sir..there isn't much room in a 10 gallon and its hard to get a schooling fish that are peaceful without the space...a gourami is very territorial...you could try taking out all the fish you have, re organizing the tank and decorations a bit, and put them back in as if they all were going to a new tank...otherwise, try some different tetras ..maybe six of these? lhttps://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-NeonTetra.htm

angelfish220
yeah, giving away to a real person or craiglist is your best bet.

I really can't think of a peacefull shoaler that can fit in a ten gallon tank, I'm sure there are some out their but my mind is ready for summer vacation!

Butters
Thanks for all your help guys. Is there any other fish that would be suitable for my tank, or should I just get some neon tetras? i'm also thinking about adding a couple ghost shrimp in there to clean up my gravel.

Shawnie
Amnagrla
The neon tetras are a fun and beautiful little fish! You can have 5 of them (5 x 1.5" per fish = 7.5"). They like to be in a group of 6 so if you did 6 you would have 9" in your tank.

Ghost shrimp are cool. I would say you could get 1 in your tank. I think you'd be pushing it any more than that.

KonaBoy
Get rid of everything and then..*cough* Betta *cough*

Butters
Thanks again guys for all your help! I got a 5 gallon tank and I think I'm eventually going to get a betta in there, once I actually have some money to spend. But I went to Wal-mart tonight and got a small thermomiter for the inside of the tank, so I looked at the fish. Then it hit me, would 2 platties, 1 dwarf gourami and couple ghost shrimp work? It seems like a good idea, or am I just dreaming again?

I also told my mom about my plans and she yelled at me for it! for wanting to get rid of the ones that I don't like so much and getting new ones and worring about my fish tank more than my exams coming up. I hate exams

KonaBoy
If you were only getting two Platy's, go with two females as males would do better with two females per each male.

Amnagrla
If you were only getting two Platy's, go with two females as males would do better with two females per each male.

WARNING!!!!!!!!! Platy's are wonderful, I love them, but.... (and this is a big butt teehee :;bb) They are livebearers so if one of them gets preggers... you're in for it! If you get two females there is a STRONG possibility that one or both would be pregnant already and then you could end up with a bigger problem.

**giggle** :;bb

Butters
Thanks for all your help! (again). If I do get females and one or both are pregnant, will it really be so bad or could I just get rid of them, or would the parents eat them? If I get 2 males, would they be fighting alot? or what if I get 2 females and 1 male, would little platties be inevitable? And If I do get a dwarf gourami, would he just eat them? Thanks for all your help again!

Amnagrla
Other people can correct me.... Okay.. as far as your platys go...

2 females: Big chance of babies. Platys can get pregnant after only 3 months of being born! However, there is also a chance that they won't be preggers.

2 males: I've heard some people get 2 males sucessfully if you try and get them around the same size, however, this is tricky. I'd suggest not doing this.

1 male & 1 female: Wouldn't EVER do this. The female will die from harassment.

2 females & 1 male: Best bet, you'll have a nice, healthy relationship between them all. lol However, it's pretty inevitable you will have babies...

If you DO get babies, yes there is a a good chance that they will eat them. However, they continue to have babies and you will eventually end up with some.. and once you get some it gets easier and easier for the fry to stay alive and you'll end up with TONS! haha A Dwarf Gourami will eat some, however, I had one with my mollies when they had babies for a year lol and I'm sure he ate some... but I still ended up with like a hundred... So I would just be prepared!!

Butters
Thanks for helping me again Amnagrla! I think I will go with the 2 females and 1 male, and then a dwarf gourami and some ghost shrimp to clean up the bottom.

How can I tell what is a male and what is a female? is there any way I can figure this out easy?

Thanks for all your help again!

Amnagrla
Female

2.gif

Male

3.gif

The female is usually bigger than a male.
Males also have a modified analfin called a gonopodium.

Just look at pictures and try and figure it out for yourself. Fishlore.com has a section on platys and a photo gallery, you can check out those pictures or just google them!

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

Blub
I would say 2 males. They don't tend to fight if they have no females - and 1 male and 2 females will mean big trouble. (Bigger trouble then you are in now!)

Yeah, I hate it when parents are like that... It happened to me before. Do try get good marks though... You'll get many rewards - and maybe even a new tank to play with...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CoryBoi
Replies
Views
FreshWaters
Replies
Views
New Fish in Town
Replies
Views