I Want My Cichlid To Not Live In Fear Anymore!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Daniel Martindale, Jul 30, 2017.

1. D

Daniel Martindale New Member Member

Hello everyone. So to start off with I'm just getting into having an aquarium. I have had a 10 gallon for about a year with fancy tail guppies & a zebra pleco.
    But i have had turtles for years. I feed them feeders on occasion and one of the feeders has been in my turtle Freddy's tank for about 2 years now. After about 3 months in the tank i could tell it wasn't a normal feeder but a cichlid. So he is about 4 inches now and i was thinking about moving him into his own tank. I have a standard 20 gallon & a standard 10 gallon. I was just wondering if either of those are large enough for him? He is in a standard 50 gallon currently with Freddy. Also any fish that go well with cichlids would help as well. He is aggressive and I've seen him eat a few smaller feeders while in the turtle tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

few cichlids can live in a 20g but there are some so we would need the exact species
    a picture of it can help too :]

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

What kind of cichild is it?

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

What kind of Cichlid is he? The Pleco should be in a 20 gallon minimum, but you should really have the fish in a 30+ because they are so active.

5. OP
    OP
    D

He is a Uaru.

6. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

He's better off in the 50 but he even likes more space like a 70+. The pleco can go in the 20 if anything.

7. goplecos

They need 60+ and 100+ is better. I would consider getting a bigger tank for him and your Pleco.

8. OP
    OP
    D

Well i got the 20 gallon tank to upgrade from the 10. But was thinking about getting a 20 gallon long instead of the standard. But guppies like the top so i was torn. I don't think Freddy messes with him too much because he is so big now but i was just wondering.

9. goplecos

I would still get a much larger tank and leave the Guppies in the 10.

10. OP
    OP
    D

I have a 75 gallon with 2 musk turtles in it but no fish lives very long in that thunderdome. It's just weird she was in with feeders and now i feel like i should properly take care of her.

11. goplecos

If you want to take care of her you need a another big tank.

12. OP
    OP
    D

Ok thank you for the help. Until i get a larger tank would u suggest keeping it in the 50 gallon or moving it to a 10 or 20 gallon.

13. S

Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

Just because your Uaru ate a few feeders doesn't make it aggressive... My Angelfish and 2" Goby eat shrimp; Does that make them aggressive? That's just feeding.

As for the Uaru care... Buy a 75 gallon tank, or sell the fish to someone who can care for it.

I highly doubt you have a multiple hundred dollar Zebra Pleco.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice