I want loaches! 90 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by Jaysee, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The 90 gallon has soft, smooth sand with 2 goldfish a BGK. I'm trying to decide between yoyo, dojo and horseface loaches. I'd like to keep yoyos along with either of the others.

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would go with dojos :)

Why are goldfish in with the BGK? Surely they require different temperatures?

3. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

No, not really. There is overlap, but the gf have always been kept in warmer water.

Tank temp is 75-78.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Oh boy! May I enable you ? LOL Dojo loaches need temps 50- 77F so if the temps don't go much over that and stay they would love your tank with at least three yoyos.
    I really love how active my Dojos are. They are so interesting and will come up and eat out of your fingers and compete to see whose going to get to the food first. so the yoyos will be able to compete for food OK But.... will the goldfish and BKG get enough to eat?
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I was hoping youd see this. the goldfish can be hand fed at the surface, and i plan to teach the BGK the same. so, if i feed the loaches sinking food and the others floating food, i think itll be okay. yes? i am leaning towards yoyos and dojos.

6. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Yep, I think so. Keep in mind that dojos have pretty big bioloads, too, as they reach a foot long or so. However, I agree with Butterfly, dojo loaches are a great addition to any large colwater tank.

7. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Dojo Loaches I would go for, iv got one in my tank and i love them. So active and good scavangers. Their funny to watch but you need to keep them in groups. Iv only got 1 because 1 died from ich so im in the middle of treating the tank :(

8. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

So, 3 dojos and 5 yoyos sound good?

The filtration is an xp3 and a 305, though I expect to replace the 305 with another xp3 down the road.

The 90 is basicly a grow out tank.

9. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hey, when did you get the BGK? Do you have pictures yet?

10. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

3 dojo and 5 yoyo sound perfect

Just make sure you have a fine substrate like sand or small gravel because dojos love to burrow.

11. Elodea

I thought that BGK were tropical fish? And they grow huge, right?

12. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I don't have it yet...today was the third time I've gone to get one and they were out. I am going to start calling first.

Got it! Took a while to find pool filter sand.

The lower end is 73...I am keeping the tank at 75. The reportedly grow to 20". The 90 is a grow out and will be replaced with a 6' tank when the time comes.

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I wondered if this was a trap laid for me ;)

My dojos eat from the surface as well as the bottom. Where ever there is food that's where they are. So observe for awhile to make sure all are getting what they need because the dojos and yoyos will take what they need.
    Maybe if you feed top and bottom at the same time it will work better. Let us know what you do. :)
    Carol

14. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

:jawdrop: A 6' tank....O_O I cant wait to see that one! lol. I love dojos...there so creepy and so much fun.

15. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I always drop the food in the filter outflow so that it gets dispersed throughout the tank. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, Ive heard that yoyos will eat themselves to death.

16. Elodea

Kinda like bettas. ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice