I want babies. Lots of them.

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've got the fish, but never any results! And so often I read how people find surprise fry in their tanks. I've got eggs again from the angels. I don't know if I should separate them in a box net, or leave them. Any I've left in the past were eaten within a few days.
My cherry barbs often get fat with eggs. Never see eggs, let alone fry.
My guppies... 2 are preggers. I'd hate to see all their babies eaten.

:-\

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Everythingzen,

Have you seen the videos below on Angel Breeding?

See post #2 in the link above for the videos.

Best of luck!

Ken

OP
Everythingzen

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks so much Ken! I think I need to get them their own tank if I want to do this effectively. They ate the eggs last night so I think the oto might have stressed them. He had adopted the corner where they decided to lay their eggs.

mosaicguppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Atleast you're very likely to have no problems with guppies, I have endlers and just gave away approximately 20 of the fry I had (they're very good at hiding). There was fry EVERYWHERE, my tank never looked so small before lol.

OP
Everythingzen

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm hoping that is the case. I'm worried the danios will eat the fry though. Or the parents will. I'm getting a funky separator box from Taiwan so fingers crossed it arrives before the babies!

I might have to get some new fish tomorrow. I'm all clucky hahaha

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Take your egg scatterers and move them into their own tank. Do not do gravel vacs. Feed sparingly. Remove in 3 or 4 weeks. Fry will usually hatch and begin swimming around.

For angels to parent raise, it takes several tries. They do best in their own tank. Otherwise, collect eggs and hatch yourself.

Live bearer fry are often eaten, even by the parents. Fry need many hiding places to have a chance at survival.

It is rare to have fry in a community setting.

Good luck.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you tried Bloodfin Tetras? My three spawned all the time. I even harvested the eggs as they dropped them (easier said than done @.@) and got them to hatch a couple times. Then I was like, "Oh, I can put these day old guppy fry in the breeders net with these 3 week old Tetra fry!" and the Guppies ate them all -_- Very cool though. All I ever did was give them brine shrimp once every week or so, nothing special

OP
Everythingzen

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The baby count is so far still the 3 guppies, that are gaining their colours now, and an unknown number of angel wrigglers/fry. I'll be happy if just a few survive the next week, honestly. I've got no idea what I'm doing so everything is just good luck so far, lol.

OP
Everythingzen

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Dena! It's such a fascinating process. Today I can make out lots of free swimming fry, plus the brine shrimp hatched!! So now they have food and I know the shrimp eggs are good, and the method I used is the correct one.

OP
Everythingzen

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are angel fry particularly difficult to raise? I'm not at all knowledgeable, so it's been step by step all the way. Perhaps I ought to research ahead, lol.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Not really. It can be tricky feeding them at first. BBS is a great first food, but they need up to 6 feedings a day, which is impossible with my work schedule. Expect a high death rate the first 7 days of free swimming. And they do best for me in 80-83F temps.

Best of luck!

OP
Everythingzen

Everythingzen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ooh, I thought 3 feedings a day was sufficient? I feed them about every 6 hours in the day and then about 11pm when I go to bed. I think a couple have died; it looked like a few were not moving earlier. I really need to set up the tank a little better, too. It's got a sponge filter and heater, but I want to add some media to the sponge somehow because I'm not sure how established it really is.

Thanks for your advice, too! Everyone is so helpful

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What has worked best for me is to set up an in-tank hatchery. I add BBS eggs and 24 hours later they start to hatch and begin to swim out of the hatchery. Then, I supplement the napulI with a first food product morning and night.

New Threads