I want a Pearl Gourami bad!

MMac

I would like to add a Peral Gourami to my tank as a centerpiece fish. I am afraid it will intimidate my ember tetras who are by nature a little bit timid already. When I feed them I have to step back from the tank before most of them will come out to eat.

50 gal 48 x 18 x 14
15 panda corys + 3 juveniles, 1 fry (that I know of)
7 Oto cats
3 Amano Shrimp
several cherry shrimp
1 assassin snail
heavily planted, but lost of open space to roam both mid and top levels

What do you think?

kallililly1973

Definitely add one.. we had one in our 55 for a few years n he was the king of the tank no aggression whatsoever

Attachments

• 1640AC5B-937D-4771-BDB7-928013DEAF98.jpeg
    1640AC5B-937D-4771-BDB7-928013DEAF98.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 5

ProudPapa

I would not recommend adding a pearl gourami. I would recommend adding several of them, ideally with females outnumbering males. While they aren't shoaling fish, like tetras, rasboras, etc, they are social fish, and often do better in groups. Having several will also reduce the likelihood that they'll interact with the other fish in the tank, since they have their own species to hold their attention.

By the way, I have fourteen of them in a 40 gallon breeder tank.

1643214672347.png

MMac

I would not recommend adding a pearl gourami. I would recommend adding several of them, ideally with females outnumbering males. While they aren't shoaling fish, like tetras, rasboras, etc, they are social fish, and often do better in groups. Having several will also reduce the likelihood that they'll interact with the other fish in the tank, since they have their own species to hold their attention.

By the way, I have fourteen of them in a 40 gallon breeder tank.

1643214672347.png
They are beautiful! I have read that when they start to breed they may become aggressive towards the embers.?. I was thinking 1 male and 3 females...?

Motherlovebetta

They are beautiful! I have read that when they start to breed they may become aggressive towards the embers.?. I was thinking 1 male and 3 females...?
ProudPapa beat me to the punch! You definitely SHOULD want pearl gourami they are wonderful fish. Yes, get 3F/1M. I have 8 in my 75g with a variety of other fish and they are not aggressive at all even with my zebra loaches trying to get piggy back rides!

ProudPapa

I have read that when they start to breed they may become aggressive towards the embers.?.

I've had at least 7 in my tank continuously since November of 2020 without any aggression problems, either toward their own species or others, but of course I can't make any promises.

I was thinking 1 male and 3 females...?

That should work fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Katy82
Replies
Views
alderaanxplaces