I Want A Goldfish

Fanatic
I watched some videos about goldfish, and I thought it would be nice to get one of my own.
How large of a tank would you recommend? I am wanting a fancy or a fantail, they are just so cute.
Now, I am on top of water changes, and familiar with slightly overstocking, so having a goldfish in a tank of the minimum size would not be an issue for me.

I plan on a barebottom, or a very thin layer of sand.

emmysjj
I’m pretty sure 20, plus an additional ten for each goldfish, but that is minimum (like 2.5 gallons for a betta). How many do you want?
*Also, please correct me if I’m wrong *

Fanatic
I’m pretty sure 20, plus an additional ten for each goldfish, but that is minimum (like 2.5 gallons for a betta). How many do you want?
*Also, please correct me if I’m wrong *

I only need one

emmysjj
I’d go with 29 gallons, but you can go bigger if you want to spoil them.

Joshua Gonzalez
I watched some videos about goldfish, and I thought it would be nice to get one of my own.
How large of a tank would you recommend? I am wanting a fancy or a fantail, they are just so cute.
Now, I am on top of water changes, and familiar with slightly overstocking, so having a goldfish in a tank of the minimum size would not be an issue for me.

You're a Fishlore VIP and you don't know the minimum for a Goldfish? I'm confused

Fanatic
I’d go with 29 gallons, but you can go bigger if you want to spoil them.

Okay, I will see what works for me.
Galathiel Goldiemom

Joshua Gonzalez
Okay, I will see what works for me.
Galathiel Goldiemom

Ha! Having that title means nothing about my own knowledge, plus I haven’t kept a goldfish before.
Lol sorry mate

david1978
They are considered social so more then one is preferred but not an absolute. And yes for fancies its recommended 20 for the first and 10 for each additional. So 2 in a 29 is kind of considered minimum.

EbiAqua
Get a 55 gallon, good filtration (at least 10x turnover) and 2-3 fancies. Ranchus are my favorites.

Fanatic
Okay, thanks everyone!

Smalltownfishfriend
Or jump in with both feet and set up a small 300 gallon pond and get a bunch!!! Haha goldfish are as addicting as bettas...

Fanatic
Or jump in with both feet and set up a small 300 gallon pond and get a bunch!!! Haha goldfish are as addicting as bettas...

My dad will let me do that, when it snows in July.
I hope it snows tomorrow!

Smalltownfishfriend
My dad will let me do that, when it snows in July.
I hope it snows tomorrow!
Haha!!! Me too!! It's hot here in PA !!

aussieJJDude
Many reccomend having 20 gallon for the first, and 10 gallon for every additional one however some also reccomend- since they can be a bit messy - to stick with 15-20g per goldie. The more room you offer, the less likely you will run into problems IMO. Plus some fancies like orandas have the potentual to get big, so offering a little more room never hurts.

As for fantails, they still technically considered a fancy goldie.

Would also reccomend a pond! Goldies love ponds!

Fanatic
Many reccomend having 20 gallon for the first, and 10 gallon for every additional one however some also reccomend- since they can be a bit messy - to stick with 15-20g per goldie. The more room you offer, the less likely you will run into problems IMO. Plus some fancies like orandas have the potentual to get big, so offering a little more room never hurts.

I am going to try a fantail in my 20 long, and wondering if I should order one or get it from the store. I want a black and white one, but will happily take any colors.

Galathiel
Long term I would look into a long tank that is large enough for at least 2 fancies. A 30 is much longer than a 29 (6 inches longer) and would work much better than a 29. Personally, I would look into a 40 breeder-easily found and can be had for a good price during Petco's sale. I would probably still stock with 2, but you might could squeeze a smaller type in there as well. I have a 46 gallon bowfront and have three in mine currently. One is an oranda, one is a small, blind telescope, and the third is a veiltail. I doubt that any but the oranda will approach max size.

I change out around 70 percent of their water weekly and vacuum the whole tank (I have a thin layer of sand for their enrichment).

aussieJJDude
I am going to try a fantail in my 20 long, and wondering if I should order one or get it from the store. I want a black and white one, but will happily take any colors.
They social fish, so I will highly reccomend getting a larger tank! They really become active and personable in larger numbers.

Mcasella
I would do a 40 breeder with two fancy goldfish (that way you can get a fantail and another one you like the look of - black moores do often get picked on by the others).

Galathiel
I think people underestimate how large goldfish really can get because they aren't normally well taken care of and don't survive to mature to their full size. Look at this 40 breeder with just two fish in it ... there really is not room for more.

Bryangar
Long term I would look into a long tank that is large enough for at least 2 fancies. A 30 is much longer than a 29 (6 inches longer) and would work much better than a 29. Personally, I would look into a 40 breeder-easily found and can be had for a good price during Petco's sale. I would probably still stock with 2, but you might could squeeze a smaller type in there as well. I have a 46 gallon bowfront and have three in mine currently. One is an oranda, one is a small, blind telescope, and the third is a veiltail. I doubt that any but the oranda will approach max size.

I change out around 70 percent of their water weekly and vacuum the whole tank (I have a thin layer of sand for their enrichment).
I agree with what Galathiel said.

I would not recommend a 20 for a goldfish, it’s too small for one, especially an oranda, IMO. It might be good for a few months but not as a permanent home

I second getting a 40b and having 2 in it.

Dawn Michele
Get the biggest tank you can. They get big & are VERY messy.

Fanatic
Well, I cannot get anything larger than a 20 long right now.
It’d be a wonder if I could get the 86 out of storage and use that.

Sarah73
Well, I cannot get anything larger than a 20 long right now.
It’d be a wonder if I could get the 86 out of storage and use that.
I would get goldfish when you can get a bigger tank.

Fanatic
I would get goldfish when you can get a bigger tank.

Thanks, that’s what I will do

Goldiemom

Please don’t put a fancy or a fantail in a pond though. They can’t handle the weather changes. Comets, commons, Shubunkin, koi are perfect for ponds. You can put 2 fancies in a 29 or larger. I hate to see a goldie alone. They love company.

Sarah73
W
We all have our special areas of interest and expertise. All volunteers trying to help each other.
Yes ma'am! Like I'm an expert with cories and plecos. Not so much with killifish. Great with all sorts of tetras as well.

Dch48
You're a Fishlore VIP and you don't know the minimum for a Goldfish? I'm confused
I thought the titles depended strictly on post count.

emmysjj
It does, unless you are a mod

Goldiemom
Exactly! I don’t think Joshua understood that though.

Sarah73
It does, unless you are a mod
Well also depends on how well known you are. And how much you are mentioned. You can't just become a fish VIP without being known. Like its mainly impossible

RYPWyld

DO NOT believe ppl when they say "They will only get as big as the tank allows." lol. I bought 4 to process a tank, put them in a 10 gallon afterwards and about 2 months later I had 4 goldfish each apx 6 in!! They are now in an outdoor pond I built just for them to thrive!

Rtessy
DO NOT believe ppl when they say "They will only get as big as the tank allows." lol. I bought 4 to process a tank, put them in a 10 gallon afterwards and about 2 months later I had 4 goldfish each apx 6 in!! They are now in an outdoor pond I built just for them to thrive!
Yeah definitely, it just stunts their external growth which means their internal growth (organs) continue to grow and crush one another until the fish has a very terrible end.

Goldiemom
Not fancies or fantails, right? You must have used comets or commons.

aussieJJDude
Please don’t put a fancy or a fantail in a pond though. They can’t handle the weather changes. Comets, commons, Shubunkin, koi are perfect for ponds. You can put 2 fancies in a 29 or larger. I hate to see a goldie alone. They love company.
Having fancies in ponds, I do disagree with you. They do fine for me, and in most mild climates they do fine.

Many goldie breeders also keep their goldies outside, I suggest looking at goldie centered boards and seeing how they do it.

But meh. We already established that we have different views on the matter.

Sarah73
Having fancies in ponds, I do disagree with you. They do fine for me, and in most mild climates they do fine.

Many goldie breeders also keep their goldies outside, I suggest looking at goldie centered boards and seeing how they do it.

I agree with you there! Plus a 29 gallon can't hold 2 fancies. Need to get a little bigger of tank. 20 for the first then 10 for the rest. 35 would be big but extra room for 2 fancies!

Mcasella

I will offer complete experience where I know the goldfish are fancies, as well as thriving and breeding in a near impossible pond. (It is only 18 inches or so deep, they have lived in that pond for about 3-4 years now, and are living deep in West Virginia with no signs of issues - they are not removed from the pond and have had successful spawns that resulted in smaller fancy goldfish - I would never recommend a pond that isn't below the freezeline so the fish are more likely to survive.)

Goldiemom
Wel
I agree with you there! Plus a 29 gallon can't hold 2 fancies. Need to get a little bigger of tank. 20 for the first then 10 for the rest. 35 would be big but extra room for 2 fancies!
Well, ok. We’re talking one gallon here. I have had 2 in a 29G for quite some time and they are beautiful and healthy. But hey, what do I know?

Attachments

• 52C7A816-E5C1-4D87-BAB8-8E7CE1EE5CEE.jpeg
    52C7A816-E5C1-4D87-BAB8-8E7CE1EE5CEE.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 9DA8D546-84AF-4374-936B-57890D4B9E70.jpeg
    9DA8D546-84AF-4374-936B-57890D4B9E70.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 189D7E8B-A693-4BF9-80F4-4518A5A5326D.jpeg
    189D7E8B-A693-4BF9-80F4-4518A5A5326D.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 64
aussieJJDude
One day I really should upload a couple of pics of my pond. Just doesn't look the best now, since its winter for me.

Idk if I spoke much about it.... maybe Ill make a board one day that outlines my goldies, and how they been doing....

aussieJJDude
Wel

Well, ok. I have had 2 in a 29G for quite some time and they are beautiful and healthy. But hey, what do I know?
I think a 29 gallon can hold a couple of the smaller ones as a bare min, but like any fish, the more space you offer, the happier they are!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • socalfishkeeping
  • Goldfish
Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Top Bottom