I Want a Blue Hue to My Tank! Freshwater LED Plus?

1. fish gazer Member Member

I'm thinking of replacing my aquarium hood lighting (forgot the specs) with the Current USA Freshwater LED Plus to get that specific white/blue combo that I like so much. (Kind of like the colour the water turns when you add Super Ick Cure)

Anyone have any experience with the light? I assume it's ok if water splashes on it and how much more water evaporates without a hood? I really don't want to get one of those glass canopys for it.

Is there another type of lighting where I can adjust how much blue I add to the white? The LED Plus has way too many options that I'll never use, maybe only the cloud cover, it looks interesting.

I only have fish/inverts in the tank and will be adding a few floating plants, water lettuce to be exact.

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

To the best of my knowledge, the Current-USA led fixture is the only one that has color changing ability. Someone may chime in after me that has information otherwise. But, I have heard good things about the "quality" of the Current-USA fixtures, so that might be a good fit IMO.

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

That is probably your best fit for what you want to do. A reasonably weak LED like that one does not produce enough heat to make a noticeable impact on evaporation. There are also all kinds of products like the one below, to add to your existing lighting. I just picked one of these strips at random, there may be better or cheaper options out there.

http://www.petco.com/product/115572...pXoralXMDDp8VP2LBVAmowJuUGqZmVsNol7Hefbvw_wcB

4. fish gazer Member Member

Ya I think you're right. I checked out the strips, Current makes them as well if I remember correctly. But it won't guarantee the colour I'm looking for.

5. fish gazer Member Member

For the evaporation part, what I meant more was that I have a hood on my tank, with open space in the back for my filters and other things, the temperature is at around 75F but during the week, water just naturally evaporates about 2 inches.

If I put the LED Plus lighting, it just sits on the rim of the tank so then there will be more air contact and more evaporation I assume, just wanted to know how much more there will be, if any.

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, an open aquarium will evaporate more than one with a hood. But 2" seems to be quite a bit for a covered tank, I can't see how it would it increase it much more with your relatively cool temperatures there. If you are running fluorescent tubes under that hood now, perhaps eliminating the heat from the bulbs will balance out with the less heat from led and an open tank.

7. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi, mine lose about an inch a week and I keep the house at 68Farenheit with covered tanks and led lights. Not sure what accounts for the high evaporation here.
    I think you will want a glass canopy on your tank if you lose that much each week-at least that is my thought. I can't even imagine how much my tanks would lose if uncovered.
    My saltwater tank is uncovered and it appears to constantly evaporate!
    Good luck, whatever you decide.

8. fish gazer Member Member

Well I recently brought the temperature down to 75F only last week. I used to have it closer to 80F before that. I really didn't understand how my heater worked and it screwed up my temp. Whatever I set the heater to, the water temp is always 5 degrees higher. Weird!

Hopefully there will be less evap from now on! Can't wait to try the LED Plus when I can save up to get it.

9. Linwood Member Member

I bought one of these and like it. Caveat, I'm very new to keeping aquariums.

I keep mine flat on the trim, i.e. I extended the feet another half inch or so, and instead of having the feet support it, the rods support it, and the LED is flush. If all the way against the trim there's (almost) no light you can see from above, and I like that -- no harsh light reflections. Photo attached to show you how it can sit.

There's certainly some heat from it, but it's pretty negligible. Touch the top of the light and it feels room temperature, not hot. I don't think it's changing evaporation any in mine, the ripple from the water inflow is much more substantial for evaporation.

I really like the light and the remote, the biggest complaint I have is lack of a timer. Using a normal timer means when it's off the remote can't be used to turn it on; a shame for such a fancy remote. I ended up doing a Raspberry Pi timer for it so I could schedule.

i-t3C3q7J-L.jpg