I wanna be like Critter...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by cajunfiberco, Apr 12, 2010.

1. cajunfiberco

cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

I think I want my duplex boys in their own tanks. I'm not sure why but my gut is telling me one of them may decide to take a jump soon, and (not to sound braggish) but my gut is usually right.

I have an extra heater so I think I'm gonna go buy another 2 gallon container tomorrow and work on moving them. Then when I have an extra $30 I'm going to go buy the 5 gallon tank kit at WalMart.

Or should I go ahead and move one tonight into a 1 gallon bowl? Honestly I'm nervous to leave them to sleep tonight...

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I'd leave them instead of the bowl, and just hope that the jump your gut feels wasn't going to happen tonight.

If there's a jumper, I think it'll be sirius. He was a troublemaker in the book ;)

3. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a 5gal. I just got an AquaTech 5 gallon (just like a Marineland Eclipse 6, just five gallons instead of six) for $10 off Craigslist and it's barely been used. Also keep an eye out at garage sales. I got my 6gal flat back hex at a garage sale (with TONS of extras) for $5.

I think they'll be fine tonight, honestly. Even my one boy that's super aggressive and hates his neighbor hasn't tried to jump the divider, he just tries to ram it down (which is why he's getting his own home). If you're really worried about it, lower the water level in the tank an inch or two.

4. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

The water level is 3 inches below the divider. What is worrying me is I messed with the filter tonight and cut slits in the divider so I can have the filter outflow going to both side. It looks to me that there are no holes, but gosh I can't shake this feeling.

I'll go check Craigslist and my local FreeCycle...

5. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Kijiji if you area has it might be a good choice, also I have to second the garage sale thing, great deals to be had there :p

6. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

I lowered the water level another inch and I'm feeling a bit better.. still want to move them though. Honestly I'd like all my boys in their own tanks right now (when I got them I was fine with divided tanks) I wish I could put each boy in their own 5 gallon ... but that would be 5 new tanks to buy :( I am thinking Critters 2 gal containers from WalMart may be the way to go, and get an air pump, heaters, and air stones going for them... then use my 15 gallon condo as a community...

7. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

I agree.. You can find a lot of good tanks in all sorts of places. My boys are doing really well in their 2 gallon containers but having small containers like these is a lot of work. My boys get a complete water change every other day... They are hard to filter and waste builds up fast... But they are a good way to save space while keeping everyone safe and happy when you have as many bettas as I do! You can also go with larger containers.. Walmart sells some 6 gallon ones that are pretty clear. I have one of my older pets in one of those with his own heater and filter... Whatever works best for you is the way you should go!!

8. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

Bleh, all the tanks on CL & kijiji are over an hour away. I'd rather spend 30 on the kit than half a tank of gas for a 10 dollar tank, ya know? not worth it. I hate this area, grrr

I don't mind the water changes so much, I'm doing every other day 95% change in my girls container (like yours) I'll have to look into sponge filters and the 6 gal containers...

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  9. critter_fritter79

you can get some really awesome sponge filters on Ebay for very reasonable prices...I actually have one of the hang on filters for the 6 gallon container..The best thing about the containers is that they come in all KINDS of sizes..the downside is they aren't as clear as a glass tank, but they come pretty close! The larger the volume is though, the less clear they are. Here is a pic of my 6 gallon tote...

Attached Files:

10. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I like that idea Critter. Cheap, simple (and would make a great Q tank for someone on a budget!)

11. critter_fritter79

lol...yes they would be great for q-tanks! They also work for spawn tanks, they are lighter and very easy to clean...

12. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Hmm, good point, I never thought of that, I cleared a tank to make a current one a fry tank when a nice plastic box would have been easier :-[ :;nw

13. critter_fritter79

the only problem I have found with using the totes for spawning is they grow algae a LOT faster!

14. OP
    OP
    cajunfiberco

No worries about spawning for me! I found this tut and it's so easy and cheap that I doubt Ebay would be cheaper! lol  

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice