I wanna add a Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Skadunkadunk, Apr 21, 2006.

1. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

Would adding a Betta 2 a 10 gallon tank with 3 platys and an oto, be a problem?

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Only that he will eat your platy fry.
    Carol

3. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I assume your talking about a male Betta...I'm not sure how compatible they and Platys are. If the Platys don't nip his fins, he may attack them.
    What I would do is get some more Otos. They are shoaling fish like Cories and are unhappy on their own.

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Well according to the Live Aquaria.com compatibility chart for freshwater fish Platys and Bettas are compatible.  Here it is:

I hope this helps.  I do go along with the statement that Omorrokh made about the otos though.  One oto does not do as well by him or herself.  They need to have company of their own kind.  They are such sweet fish.   :D

Rose
    :)

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I've changed my mind since posting that, Platys should be compatible with Bettas. I forgot to add before, if the 10 gallon is not planted, i would seriously rethink the Otos. They demand excellent water quality with low nitrates. The ideal tank for them is a planted 20 gallon or bigger. They will only thrive in a small and/or unplanted tank if you are prepared to do large and probably more-than-weekly water changes. I tried putting my Otos in an unplanted 10g with nitrates hovering around 20, and I got 2 serious cases of finrot.(needless to say they're being moved) Just thought I'd warn you...

6. ricky2272New MemberMember

I have my betta in my community tank, he did eat most of my platy fry the fist time but each time my platty has fry it eats less and less of them. i know have healthy platy fyr growing up. :p

7. leafgirl115Valued MemberMember

ricky2272 are you shur the Betta eat them? the platies could also:)

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Yes let's not blame our little buddies for something until we see them do it LOL they are capable of doing it but most fish will eat their own fry as well.

Rose
    :D

9. SunnShadowValued MemberMember

I have a male Betta in an aquarium with platys, swordtails and guppies. They all get along fine. (Dante does eat the fry.... I often see him "hunting" in the plants. He's very serious and determined about it.)

S.

10. ecnaj143Well Known MemberMember

It all depends. Some say their not compatible, some say they are. To be honest, it depends on your fish. My old Betta(makes me sad when i think of him. He was great), got along great with my Molly and my Platy. The only thing I think you can do is try. Give the fish alittle time to get settled down. I'll give them my 2-4 days and if everything is cool, then your set.

11. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

I would like to try this out too but I've had bad luck with platys for some reason. I think you should be prepared for some flaring and chasing, just in case, but it sounds like you have lots of room and they should not go too crazy. BTW, don't freak out if some chasing happens; it's only genuine attacks that seem to be striking home that you need to worry about. Bettas might scare other fish but don't always attack them, sometimes it is just that they are establishing who is boss of the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice