I Tried To Add A Snail To Betta Tank

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tried to add a snail to my Bettas tank and she killed it. I wasn’t expecting that .... do your Bettas tolerate snails?

Shannon529

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two bettas. One of them... I am iffy with. I haven't actually tried it, but he seems like he'd probably attack anything I put in with him. The other betta I have in with my two breeding mystery snails. He leaves them alone. Once in awhile I notice he'll be right next to one on the glass, but I haven't seen him try anything aggressive. Just sits there watching them. The ONLY thing I have seen him do is once when I was busy just watching the snail (who happened to be at the surface with her little feelers floating at surface) he kind of went for it. But I think he mistook it for food. He didn't try again and she didn't seemed too hurt or concerned. I've heard horror stories about keeping bettas with snails, but I've also heard stories where bettas are "babysitting" baby snails. It just really depends. IF you want to try them together again, I would keep an eye on them for awhile. Make sure betta stays fed, and make sure there are plenty of plants/hiding spots. I'm sorry for your loss. I know they are "just snails", but I know I certainly am attached to mine. Part of the family.

AJ34

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks. I have a puffer that eats snails so I try not to get to attached to them. However I though maybe if I put one in this tank it would have a nice little life and help with clean up. I probably won’t try again. This is one of my fish I consider less aggressive but I guess she doesn’t desire a tankmate

Last edited by a moderator:

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have four bettas in our house - two are killers and two that completely ignore them.

greengoddess

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The only luck I've had is with nerites. Any snails with long, wavy tentacles were blinded in short order - too much bling, I think. The nerites must look more like unattractive rocks or something... Side note: I really appreciate my nerites - they're workhorses! I recently tried another snail (can't recall what kind,) and I surrendered it after two days as "a very bad snail who does nothing but poop all over the place and eat my plants."

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve been fairly lucky, all of the bettas I’ve had have been good with snails and shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom