I thought this was just an injury on my betta but now I’m not sure.

Creatingwithstripes

Mushu is my older betta. He had been living in a planted/heated/cycled/filtered 10 gal tank.
( Ammonia- 0 ppm ,Nitrates 0 ppm, Nitrates 10 ppm, PH 7.8 temp steady at 78 F)

On the 10th I woke up to see damage to his dorsal fin and the connecting park of his body. He was also acting lethargic and sitting at the bottom of his tank. He also appeared to have slight popeye issues.

He also started forming what we believe to be catracts back in December.

I moved him to a hospital tank (filtered and heated to 80f, 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt and tannins added). I thought it was physical damage so I’ve been doing daily water changes, have Indian Almond leaves, adler cones, and other leaf litter to provide him with tons of tannins. He has also been getting 30 min meth blue baths to help prevent any fungus or anything on the affected areas while I do his daily water change.

In his hospital setup he is acting fine otherwise, is eating swimming, building bubble nests ect. None of his other fins seem to be affected. He still has his entire feather tail. But now as of today the affected area seems to be spreading again.

But he seems to be taking a very long time to heal- if this is just a physical injury.

Does anyone have any ideas or input?

What would you be doing differently?

First two photos are from the 10th
The next three are from the 26th
The last two are from today.
 

Attachments

  • B5421B2E-7E3A-4419-B8BE-EA28FD339C34.jpeg
    B5421B2E-7E3A-4419-B8BE-EA28FD339C34.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 11
  • BA534A66-8AFE-464B-ADE6-65DEFAA05ECE.jpeg
    BA534A66-8AFE-464B-ADE6-65DEFAA05ECE.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 11
  • B1CAC97A-73E9-419C-AD21-94DF5C9E7B6C.jpeg
    B1CAC97A-73E9-419C-AD21-94DF5C9E7B6C.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0A591A74-B06E-4225-AB89-0FA2816669DB.jpeg
    0A591A74-B06E-4225-AB89-0FA2816669DB.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 11
  • 35D65CD5-D965-45BC-B8DB-5396ECB00A63.jpeg
    35D65CD5-D965-45BC-B8DB-5396ECB00A63.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 270B4964-CEC3-4708-A9D1-B15EDC21BA79.jpeg
    270B4964-CEC3-4708-A9D1-B15EDC21BA79.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 11
  • FC6040EF-29C5-4D70-818F-CBEBE82D954D.jpeg
    FC6040EF-29C5-4D70-818F-CBEBE82D954D.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 10

betta06

looks like a fungal infection try some aquarium salt
 
Upvote 0

Creatingwithstripes

looks like a fungal infection try some aquarium salt

I need to edit the post- his hospital set up gets aquarium salt as well. I forgot to add that in.
 
Upvote 0

Annabanana728

Hi! I rescue bettas, sometimes there are illnesses or diseases that are just not curable, you just have to do the best you cant to stop it spreading.

Not fish related but: I had a hamster that had a tumor that was not curable, we just had to drag it out and stop it from getting bigger. So while I dont know what your betta has, I do know this: It sounds like your doing the best you can, keep at it with the aquarium salt and Indian almond leaves. Good luck.
 
Upvote 0

Creatingwithstripes

Hi! I rescue bettas, sometimes there are illnesses or diseases that are just not curable, you just have to do the best you cant to stop it spreading.

Not fish related but: I had a hamster that had a tumor that was not curable, we just had to drag it out and stop it from getting bigger. So while I dont know what your betta has, I do know this: It sounds like your doing the best you can, keep at it with the aquarium salt and Indian almond leaves. Good luck.

Thanks for the input! He’s otherwise acting fine. I’m thinking he might have to live in the hospital setup until he’s passed or until we get this figured out if there is anything to figure out. I just don’t want him to suffer.
 
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
5
Views
160
Fishstery
Replies
1
Views
83
bobduhgeek
Replies
3
Views
110
Ouse
Replies
6
Views
132
PeggyH
Replies
3
Views
137
peachsonas

Random Great Thread

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom