I thought Pearls were supposed to be peaceful!!!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I researched the internet over and everything says Pearls are more peaceful. Compared to what? A piranhna?!?! LOL. I got a male and female last Wednesday. The male has fin nipped my angelfish to the point of fin rot (in seperate tanks now) and he harrasses the female constantly!! Alot of his behavior toward her seems like courting but then every so often he chases her and nips at her. She's taken to hiding most of the time. He's such a bully. Such a shame cuz he's gorgeous. I think he's going to have to back to the pet store. What I can't decide is if I should keep her? Will she turn aggressive once her stress is gone?

Meeps83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's surprising. My male is docile, but I've never had a m/f pair together. Is he a lot bigger than she is? Could you put him a breeder box for a day or two and tried re-releasing him into the tank to see if he calms down at all?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a male/female pair of pearls. They have never nipped or shown any aggression at all. The male is very shy and hides. The female is the brave one. I've had over a year.

Are you sure it's a pearl?

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you have the Angle and the pearls in anything less then a 55 gallon then i could see a problem. not to mention ALL male gourami are territorial. Angel and gourami just don't mix. Gourami and Cichlid really. Most Male pearls are peaceful fellows but they can be jerks when they want.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
psalm18.2 said:
Are you sure it's a pearl?
Absolutely positive. I even had them special ordered.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Meeps83 said:
That's surprising. My male is docile, but I've never had a m/f pair together. Is he a lot bigger than she is? Could you put him a breeder box for a day or two and tried re-releasing him into the tank to see if he calms down at all?
He's bigger but not by inches. Maybe just a 1/4"- 1/2". I don't have a breeder box. Just a 10 gallon QT. But the angel is in there trying to get well.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
soltarianknight said:
If you have the Angle and the pearls in anything less then a 55 gallon then i could see a problem. not to mention ALL male gourami are territorial. Angel and gourami just don't mix. Gourami and Cichlid really. Most Male pearls are peaceful fellows but they can be jerks when they want.
I read so many mixed results. Some people mixed angels and pearls with no probs. Then I would read it's a no no. I decided to give it a chance in my 46.

soltarianknight

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
And said chance was all like "NOPES" X-x. Been there, done that, NO fun. Sorry to hear your angel got beat up. Hope he feels better.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Def a big fat nada.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I take back my statement. They have had a tank with only tetras and corydoras.

I added a molly from another tank and the pearls went nuts. Yes, they were very territorial with the new comer. Took the molly out and things settled down. Who knew?

tankman12

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
my male pearl gourami is peaceful with everything from my neon tetras to my freshwater neon blue stiphodon goby. but is a little food agressive, but has never hurt anything.

it is with
a pair of bumblebee platies
6 rummynose tetras
1 bushynose pleco
2 julie cory cats
1 peppered cory cat
a pair of kribensis
6 neon tetras
1 stiphodon goby
3 ghost shrimp
2 whisker shrimp

JessiNoel21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
tankman12 said:
my male pearl gourami is peaceful with everything from my neon tetras to my freshwater neon blue stiphodon goby. but is a little food agressive, but has never hurt anything.

it is with
a pair of bumblebee platies
6 rummynose tetras
1 bushynose pleco
2 julie cory cats
1 peppered cory cat
a pair of kribensis
6 neon tetras
1 stiphodon goby
3 ghost shrimp
2 whisker shrimp
What size tank are they in?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would either get a couple more females, since they do best in a group, or at the very least try a different male. Some fish go rogue and don't behave as they ought to.

Clemdog

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How do you tell a male Pearl from a female?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum

The male has a longer, pointy dorsal fin while the females have shorter rounded ones. Also, males have filaments that grow from their analfin, when they are large enough. Males will also sport a red breast and ventral fins when in breeding color.

JessiNoel21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is my female

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a 3 spot, not a pearl.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a 3 spot, that photo is an Opaline. Same thing, except no spots. Those can be aggressive, especially males. My female Three Spot is peaceful, fortunately.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
3 spot is the general name for the species, including all the color morphs. Opalines have 3 spots too, by the way.

Featherfin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gouramis can just have attitudes... I have a pair of pearls and a pair of goldens and whenever a new fish in introduced they chase them for a day straight. Like they want to be at the top of the pecking order.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads