I thorght my hitch-hiker crab died.. but.. Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Crabs' started by ibiaquariums, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

It turned out it never...

One morning/afternoon i came down from upstaires and sae its exo-skelenton on the sandbed... but all as ONE, so i thorght "nooooooooooooooo"... ive failed my tank and ive not even started properly yet lol! Plus i hadnt seen him out for agessssssssssss (hybenating i guess - my snake did this too).

Then in the evening i noticed a blockade within the rocks which is usually CLEAR and you can see through to the other side, i thorght hmm strange.. so i prodded around in the tank with my pastic thing i use to move stuff lol... then i looked back and the hole was clear... to my excitement it just had to be him... him being "sebastian" :)
    then i remember his first shed, only then he never shedded as one, the first occasion i saw bits off him scattered about and around (at this point too i thorght something had got him - when i first got my live rock - and new hardly anything about SW truth be told).

Now i can say i have seen him sinse, tody infact... he was on the sand bed but close to the LR moving around its base... BUT i noticed one thing...

HE HAS NO CLAWS??????????

how comes? will they grow back? was this to do with him shedding?

Its nt yet been a day sinse hes come out of hiding.. maybe hes hungary and has to come out before his grown his bits back..?? maybe?? lol.. helppp!

answers answers.. pleaseeee....

thank you!!!!!!!!!!! :)

2. SarrixxValued MemberMember

It's going to be difficult for him to eat without claws, but if you can manage to feed him somehow, after his next moult his claws should grow back. Maybe try coax him into eating from your hand somehow.

3. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

Ive no idea how im going to do that:
    1. im scared of him loool.. claws or no claws looool!
    2. he is so quick, dashes at any site of movement and....
    3. he moves between the gaps in the live rock.

Thoe earlier he looked like he was bitting the LR.. im sure crabs filter feed from the water too.. which means he wouldnt need his claws!

obviously i may have to drop some meaty snacks in soft enougth for him to eat from his face! Had to be me that got the difficult crab aye, grrr!

I also saw him today push this EGG like.. white opal shape kind of stone looking thing out of the hole i tend to peer through when i try to look for him... im about to research crab eggs, should be fun! :)

P.s dont really know how he pushed that out with no claws thoe! looked very busy in their.... possibly "decorating" lol.

4. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

2 crabs one tank?

Hey guys,,, few questions...

number one....

My crab shedded recently... but now has no claws???

whats up with that... will they grow back???

Number two...

I brought another piece of big LR... and have another hitchiker crab, a scary mother at that..

now ive got 2... they both seem to be rock grazing algae eaters and tend to not go anywhere but stay in their rocks and graze the front entrance of it...

will they be ok in the tank together?????

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning.

:animal0068:I have merged your threads since they both are dealing with the same tank and crabs.
    I think it will be a lot less confusing to other members.

:animal0068:I've also moved the thread to the Saltwater Crab section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!
    Ken

6. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

sorry & thank you! Sometimes its quite hard and confusing on where to actually place the thread questions theirselves! But thanx again ;)

7. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Glad to help :)

Ken

8. SarrixxValued MemberMember

As I said before, the claws will grow the next time he moults. Get some pictures of both your crabs, because a lot of hitch hiker crabs can be dangerous to your fish and other livestock. With the pictures we can try to ID the crabs and if we can do that, then everything you need to find out about them will either be on the internet or some of the members here could give you some information.
    Without pictures theres not much we can do, its almost impossible to ID your crabs (and therefore tell you anything about them) from your description.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice