I think the end is near...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Furallicah, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

One of my bettas I'm keeping I think might be dieing...idk how old he is but he is very lathargic and is just floating around the top of his bowl. I know its a 1gal bowl (I dont have the money to upgrade...I have a 5gal but I got it from a friend who had it in a barn for 2 years...I'm trying to clean it up but I dont really have a filter for it....*sigh*) His bowl gets water changes ever two days, treated with prime. He has a small castle and some large rocks in the tank. Its not cramped he has plently of swimming room. But he is still acting different. Water permaters are fine and none of my other bettas or the rest of my fin kids are acting like this. He'll just sit around then dart through the bowl....then sit. Kind of spaztastic. He wasnt eatting the pellets I was feeding everyone else...which I think might be the problem...he is thin I didnt notice until a few minutes ago. I do not want to waste all of my forzen bloodworms so I soaked some freeze dried ones in garlic guard for 2 minutes then fed him....to which he attacked the food. He is still however just floating around the top of the water...just and then darting around. Anyone have and advice they would like to throw in...? I'll post a picture of him in a moment...idk why or what makes me think it but his fins..look odd...you'll see...:-\

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

What are the exact water parameters? Is there enough oxygen in the water? Is there an airstone? Can you do the water changes every day instead of every other? Is there a way to rig a sponge filter for him?

Sorry for all the questions. Pics will help, I know you are posting one soon.

3. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Water parameters are 0, 0, 15. No there is no air stone, and he is breathing normaly nothing heavy labored. He goes to the surface just fine and takes a breath. I did move to doing water changes on his tank to every day I just did one an hour ago...and those are the current water parameters.
    100_3464.JPG

100_3466.JPG

Thats him Scropio....hes a crowntail. There are no signs of external illness...and he is pooing fine. Like I said he is a little thin...which could be most of the problem. I'll try to find one of my back up pumps and hook him up with some airbubbles.

4. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

could it be the temperature? Ive had bettas act like a whole new fish once they get some heated water. How long have you had him?

5. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

About a month in total. The tank is at 76 degrees...and his old home was around the same. Scropio is Bics' fish. I'm keeping him due to some odd reason but I had the room. I turn on my room heater to warm up the air tempature. I dont have a heater for a 1gal.

I dont have anywhere else to put him. Plato is to agressive and I fear him trying to jump the divider if I divided his tank. My only real option is my 10gal...but Eli (My Crayfish) lives there and thats just asking for something bad to happen...so this is my only option until I can afford something bigger for him.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

cant say I have a clue what it is then :/, sorry I cant help, Id just go with the airstone idea

7. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Its ok, I dont expect anyone to know whats wrong, but suggestions are nice. I have a friend bringing me an air stone. I have an air pump...just no air stone..

8. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Betta fish actually do not like air stones....They breath surface air....They don't really enjoy a lot of surface movement so I don't think that is the problem here.....

Is he pineconing at all? I don't think he looks that bad in the photo's you just posted....

9. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

I was thinking he wouldnt like the airstone...I wasnt sure though. Until I put the pump in with one and he freaked out...not even going to bother with the airstone...
    No I dont think he is pineconing, after eatting his belly is a little round though. As of now he is just resting on the bottom of the bowl beside his castle...well now he moved and is trying to get Taila's attention....Could he be depressed o_O

10. Martinismommy

He might be depressed...Betta fish are very moody......

11. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

sorry about the bad advice about the airstone... I was brainstorming.

12. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Lol its ok Meenu no problem. Maybe he is depressed then...I'll throw something up between him and Taila and see what he does. I do wonder about his age though. He is about the size of Sherlock who I know is about a 1 1/2 years old...so it could be age. Though Sherlock is just peachy.

13. Martinismommy

He does appear to be older.....I think he will be fine.....Just tell him how handsome he is and look at him.....Honestly this seems to perk them up......

14. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

I did...I've been talking to him...now he is hidding behind his castle...*sigh*

15. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

mine love the air stones...but that is probably too small of a space for one...he does look bloated to me in his second sideways pic....have you tried the pea and fasting? how often was he fed freeze dried foods? even soaked, some of the bettas cant handle them :( i hope he perks up!

16. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Well he was orginally fed freeze dried blood worms and did fine on them. When he came into my care however I tryed to get him to eat pellets like the rest of my Bettas and then Frozen bloodworms on Fridays. But he wasnt eatting the pellets after 7 days....So I soaked a few in garlic guard and few him..he ate them right up. That was the first time I've feed him them in my care. So idk...he seemed fine with the forzen blood worms but my supply is thinning...I need to get somemore but wont be able to until this weekend.

17. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I would suspect he is just sad... once he knows how well you will take care of him, I bet he will be great. Good luck

18. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Idk...hes just not moving resting at the waters surface...This is depressing me..:(

19. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I know the bowl is unavoidable at this time, but my experience is when the betta doesn't have a lot of room, they just simply sit and sulk. It could just be that he is bored or understimulated. It doesn't appear to be an illness.

-Tony

20. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Well I just added the castle a few days ago and I added a plant yesterday...no...he's dieing...idk why I just know it..sitting here watching him...its only a matter of time...*sigh* Thanks everyone...all I can do now is hope he might pull through....and if not that he dies peacefully...:'(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice