i think somethings wrong ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelleiscool

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alright look, i just got two new west cichild fish, and one of them just lays underneath the little ceramic plant, on its side and doesnt move unless i put my net to see if hes still alive and they both havent really eaten or anything, is he sick or somethin? its freakin me out.

-its a 20 gallon tank
-i have 4 plants and 2 ceramic things
-and the cleaner and the temp. thing is in there

i just got them yesterday(saturday)

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
alright look, i just got two new west cichild fish, and one of them just lays underneath the little ceramic plant, on its side and doesnt move unless i put my net to see if hes still alive and they both havent really eaten or anything, is he sick or somethin? its freakin me out.

-its a 20 gallon tank
-i have 4 plants and 2 ceramic things
-and the cleaner and the temp. thing is in there

i just got them yesterday(saturday)
To give you an answer tailored to your specific situation, we're going to need more information. But as a generic answer until you can provide any of the information requested below, it is not uncommon for fish to be stressed the first day or two in a new tank.

For starters, what is a "west cichlid" fish? There are over 1,000 species in the cichlid family, and what works for some does not work for others. If you don't know the full name, a picture would help immensely.

Can you retest your water and post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

How were the fish acclimated to your tank?

What (if anything) did you use to treat the water?

OP
N

noelleiscool

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
-it is a red blooded parrot cichild
-i can retest so ill have to get back to you on that but my mom has the stuff and shes at work
-we acclimated them by well 1)we put them in my tank while they were still in the store bags for 15 minutes. 2) we put the water from my tank into their bags for about 5 minutes then put them in my tanks by draing the store water into my tub using a strainer with the fish being in it. thats what the lady that worked there told me to do.
-and to treat the water we used "aquasafe" from tetra aqua

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore
sounds like a combo of anew tank and an uncycled tank....testing is a must and posting the results will help us help you more...the parrots wont make it in the 20g tank as they get HUGE ....so maybe return them and cycle the tank then restock with smaller tropicals?

OP
N

noelleiscool

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
they are only parrot cichilds, and the store person said that, yeah they do get pretty big but these types only get to about 6inches? somewhere around there, and she reccomended that we got two because they are schooling fish so idk, and im scared to take them back because well 1. they were shipped to the store and 2. the day after they were shipped, we brought them home so thatd be a lot of movin around, youd think tht be traumatizing enough? aha

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore
sounds like a combo of anew tank and an uncycled tank....testing is a must and posting the results will help us help you more...the parrots wont make it in the 20g tank as they get HUGE ....so maybe return them and cycle the tank then restock with smaller tropicals?
+1. Even if they only get to 6" the tank is still too small for them. I advise you take them back to where you got them & then not deal with them anymore. They should have known better & were clearly just trying to make a sale. Unfortunately in this hobby you just can't trust the advice from pet store or LFS staff.

OP
N

noelleiscool

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
this is ****, people like them make me mad cause i really like these fish and ive been waiting years to actually get them. but im not gonna go with my sob story, thanks

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe you can get them a larger tank? You can probably find one cheap off Craigslist that would suit them. Something around 50gal? That way they only have to be in the 20gal temporarily & when you get the larger tank you will be able to stock the 20gal with more suitable sized fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning, Welcome to Fish Lore!

Great information above.

So sorry that you were given wrong information from your local fish store. Many of us have been there so try not to be too angry. I highly suggest that Bloody Parrots go into at least 55g and in the 55g, I suggest only 2. My largest Bloody Parrot, at the moment is 9x6.5 inches. I have an age range from 18 months old to over 8 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iCpsGRzhzQ&feature=player_embedded

I also have photos in my profile if you care to take a look.
Ken
I have moved your thread to the Hybrid/Parrot Cichlid section of the forum.
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
N

noelleiscool

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
its frustrating cause its my first fish and i was expecting it to turn out perfect. danggg man howd get all those fish to not to hurt each other thats really cool

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its frustrating cause its my first fish and i was expecting it to turn out perfect. danggg man howd get all those fish to not to hurt each other thats really cool
ALLOT of us have been where you are....bad advice from pet stores is very common sad but common

returning them is in their best interest or finding them a proper home that can be in a much bigger tank

have you checked out www.craigslist.org for you to have a bigger tank? theres a ton of great deals lately!

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i pretty much have done the same as you,i have 2 bloody parrots and are great fish so i went and bought me a 55 gal for them,i have a 29 gal right now but will change so my parrots have more room,just waiting to set my 55 up.these guys know what there talking about,ive gottin lots of good advise from them,and have used it all.thanks guys and gals.STEVE.

OP
N

noelleiscool

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
see, im lucky to get the tank i have now soo theres prolly noo way i can get a new one, i think im gonna just take them back because i dont want them to frow up living in an enviorment thats not suitable for them, and im gonna be freaking sure that im gonna give the store a little peice of my mind cause its complete and utter horse **** that they knew what they were talking about yet, they told me something that totally screwed me over

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
see, im lucky to get the tank i have now soo theres prolly noo way i can get a new one, i think im gonna just take them back because i dont want them to frow up living in an enviorment thats not suitable for them, and im gonna be freaking sure that im gonna give the store a little peice of my mind cause its complete and utter horse **** that they knew what they were talking about yet, they told me something that totally screwed me over
they DONT always know what they are talking about...and they are in the business to make money....doing our own research is best and now that you have, and know that your tank is more for community type fish like tetras and such, you will be one up on them good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom