I Think Something Is Wrong With My Betta

1. Fishgrub Initiate Member

IMG_5918.JPG IMG_5921.JPG IMG_5918.JPG My betta has been in a small tank for a month now and on the last week of that month, I went on vacation and left my betta with my uncle. I asked him to clean the tank while I was gone (It was already starting to get dirty) but he ending up not doing it. Anyways, my betta has been staying at the bottom of my new 10 gallon tank ever since I put her in there today. I'm not sure if it's because of environment change or the new filter, or if she caught a disease due to the stress from the car rides to my uncle's house and back + the dirty water. I noticed that she had a lot of small dots on her body and top of head, but not her tail or fins. I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture but I'll post it either way.

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Why did you get a new filter? Looks like he has a bent spine or deformed spine. What did you do to the environment? What's your water parameters? Sounds like ick but not completely sure.

3. Manjit Member Member

what are your parameters...? did you change your filter media also....?
    what you say sounds like ich but need a clear picture to see....

4. kayla.s Member Member

Looks like there might be some fin rot too?

5. Fishgrub Initiate Member

It's hard to get a clear picture but here's what I could get. As for parameters, I put her in a brand new tank due to how dirty her old, small plastic one was. She was already showing the same signs in that old one though

Attached Files:

6. KaelynM Member Member

What they mean by parameters are the levels of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH in your tank. Do you have a test kit or test strips you can use to test the water? Was your old filter cycled? If so, did you move the old filter media (ceramic rings, sponge, polyfil, carbon, etc.) to the new filter or does it have all new media? The first thing you should do is figure out the parameters of your water which will help you figure out what the problem may be.

7. Manjit Member Member

pictures are not clear.... so it will be better if you can call someone knowledgeble around you or google some imges about Ich disease in betta... and do self assesment...
    If its Ich then I would suggest to Increase water temperature slowly to 30°C... and provide more aeration with air stone....
    Have you cycled your new tank...
    do you know about nitrogen cycle...
    It will be good if you get a API Master test kit and check your water parameters and post it...

8. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

That betta appears to have severe fin rot as it has almost no tail left.

OP also states in their profile that they are not aware of the nitrogen cycle, just started the hobby and is only 15. We can help you with the nitrogen cycle if you can get someone to purchase you an API master test kit.

9. KaelynM Member Member

Make sure you're taking into account the fact that it is a female betta.

10. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Indeed, did not realize it was a female. Still definitely something seriously wrong going there. Fins are clamped and I'm not sure if it's just the pics or not but something looks wrong with the head. Lots of water changes and make sure the tank is cycled as well.

11. Fishgrub Initiate Member

It's a brand new filter, tank, gravel, water, and decor. The only thing that I passed over were my three mossballs and my betta. I'll get onto purchasing a test kit today if I can. My betta didn't have a heater due to money problems so I'm not sure if I should buy a heater + salt or go straight to buying a test kit

12. KaelynM Member Member

Bettas really do require heaters, and there are some pretty inexpensive ones you can find at Walmart or online. Make sure you have a thermometer as well. I'm not sure if you have one already. A test kit or test strips are also very important. I would put these two things at the top of your list and wait on the salt until you know more about what's going on. You may end up not needing it.

Amazon.com : Tetra 26447 Submersible Aquarium Heater, 50-Watt : Aquarium Heaters : Pet Supplies
    Something like this would work

13. arvind2205 Member Member

Hi OP, I agree with Kellye, your betta has severe fin rot. Get the test strips instead of the test kit, they are cheaper and that way you can also buy a heater and a thermometer. A 25-50W heater preset to 78F is around 8 bucks, a thermometer around 3.50 and strips around 5 bucks while the test kit itself is like 19.99, so that would work for now. The best thing for recovery, is clean, clean, super clean water. Get something like Seachem Prime to stabilize water and stability to add beneficial bacteria while the tank cycles. Daily water changes of 20% or so would be great. Good luck - please don't give up, I have seen bettas recover from worse situations.

14. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You are going to have to go through the cycling process which is hard on a lot of fish but MUCH harder on one that isn't feeling up to par yet. Be very careful and keep up with those water changes and testing.

15. Fishgrub Initiate Member

Yeah that was what I was thinking. I'm very low on money right now so I was worried about having to buy a test kit and a heater to save my fish. I'm about to go buy that heater you were talking about and the thermometer, and that that my mom can spare me 5 dollars more for the test strips. All I know is that my fish used to be in an unfiltered tank that was pretty dirty to high ammonia + stress from driving around might have infected her with Ich. But for the time being, I'm not very sure.

16. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Yes please click on the blue words nitrogen cycle, and learn about it. When you switched tanks, the nitrogen cycle had to start over. It can take a while and be stressful for the fish. She looks in rough shape. Her fins look smallish and withered, even for a female, and clamped, which indicates stress. Her head looks misshapen, her spine kinked. She needs clean clean warm water. Please get the heater. I would even increase the water changes a little, 20-40% new, dechlorinated water every single day. Testing the water regularly will help, and we can teach you what the different numbers mean. She looks like a baby, or maybe she's stunted? She'll be better off in a heated, filtered, cycled 10 gallon for sure. I hope she perks up soon!

17. Fishgrub Initiate Member

I bought the heater, thermometer, and test strips. I'll set them up soon.

18. Briggs Well Known Member Member

If you're doing a fish-in cycle, I'd recommend working a small bottle of Seachem Prime water conditioner into your budget as soon as you can, along with a cheap eye dropper for dosing (2 drops treats a gallon). It will help her get through the cycle by detoxifying the ammonia in the water for 24 hours. Plus it's just a really good water conditioner and even a small bottle will last a good while.

It's hard to tell if she has fin rot because her fins are clamped and females can have pretty short finnage, but it's probably best to assume she does. Large daily water changes can do wonders for fin rot. You can try a small amount of aquarium salt, but make sure to read up on how to do so safely. In the second picture her spine looks fine, so I suspect in the others that she's partially tucked under that rock making her head look a little odd. It is possible she's gotten Ick, in which case I'd suggest reading this: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ck-life-cycle-and-natural-treatment.153206/to get started on figuring out a treatment.

19. Fishgrub Initiate Member

Hey, I have a question. So my betta (as you saw) has these weird little bump-like things on her body and head. Are these bubbles or something else? She almost looks dusty. It's been the reason I've been worrying about her, I feel like she shouldn't have those. Anyways, I have the heater in [just waiting 30 minutes to plug it in]. She seems to rest under or on the sides of the rock I bought for her. But ever since I came back from the store, although she still has those weird bumps, she has been swimming up and down the tank. She looks very active for some time but then turns very unactive and just lays down on the gravel for long periods of time. Could this be because of the lack of heat I gave her?

20. Fishgrub Initiate Member

I thought she had ick as well but she doesn't have those bright white spots on her & the little bumps (or bubbles, I'm not sure what they are) look way too close to eachother, unlike Ick that seems to be a little more spread out.