I think Rosy has ich

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SabrinaBrook, Jun 30, 2016.

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

I think my new female betta Rosy has the ich virus. I have had her a week. After feeding her this morning i took a close look at her and can see tiny white like bubbles under her belly, she has 1 bubble on the left side but quiet a number of them on the right side in a row. Now she didnt have them a few days ago but now its there and you have to look very close to see it. Here is a photo of her just now:

I read on here that you can turn the heater up to 30c and that will get rid of it without medications. Should i first try turning up the heat in her tank? I have never had a fish with this before. The water in the tank is:
    pH 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0.25
    Nitrate 20
    Should i also change the water? Is there anything else i should do? How could this have happened?

2. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

Hello @Sabrina Brook, I hope you are well.

Ich is a parasite and not a virus, but after looking at your picture your fish does not have ich (in my opinion.)

What size tank are we talking here? What make and model filter? Do you know what your pH is? What temperature do you keep your tank at? How often do you do water changes, and how much water do you replace? What water conditioner do you use during each water change?

Do you know about and understand the nitrogen cycle? A thoroughly cycled tank will show nitrates only. Any amount of ammonia or nitrite in your water will be harmful to Rosy.

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I agree it don't look like ich to me

4. A

Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Looks like your tank is not completely cycled, since you have ammonia and nitrite readings. I concur with the previous responses, what is the current temperature, what water conditioner do you use, and how often are you doing water changes? Might be ich, hard for me to really see on my phone, sorry....if you can answer Dovah's questions it would really help us help you. :)

5. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hello Dovah, thank you i am well.
    Its a 15L tank, 2 stage filter with sponge, carbon and media. The pH was 7.6, the temp in the tank is a steady 26c. I do 50% water changes once a week or when required by the test kit. I use Prime. Yes i understand the cycle. I will do a water change and take readings again and post them back here :)

High range pH 7.4
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    these are the new readings

Its been 4 hours since the water change and what ever those little white bubbles were on Rosy belly have gone! What a mystery :;ufo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
  6. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

That's great! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice