I Think My Tank Is Too Small For A Pleco

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes it is too small for a pleco. They get like 2 feet long.

Prest12

Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no type of pleco that can be kept in a ten gallon tank. Common plecos can get up to two feet.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Prest12 said:
As far as I know, there is no type of pleco that can be kept in a ten gallon tank. Common plecos can get up to two feet.
Clown plecos are ok in a 10 g, but better in a larger tank. They get 3-4 inches

Brian Knowles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is a common Pleco try to rehome it with someone that has a >150 Gal tank. If not check with the LFS's in your area, most will take them and give you in store credit, and you can get a few more tetras. Both of you will be a lot happier in the end.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Brian Knowles said:
If it is a common Pleco try to rehome it with someone that has a >150 Gal tank. If not check with the LFS's in your area, most will take them and give you in store credit, and you can get a few more tetras. Both of you will be a lot happier in the end.
You don’t have to have a 150 gallon tank, just a tank that the smallest side is at least 2-3 feet (L or W)

~Matt~

Reaction score
It would be best to post of photo of the pleco so we know what type your talking about. Like Gourami36 said, if it’s a clown, then you may be able to keep it.

Brian Knowles

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gourami36 said:
You don’t have to have a 150 gallon tank, just a tank that the smallest side is at least 2-3 feet (L or W)
Maybe didn't word it right. Didn't mean you Had To Have 150, just that it would be best case scenario.

napa15rt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My boss has a tank at work . With 4 cichlids don't know exactly which ones but they are mean fish. He was being lazy and was having a bad algae problem went and got a pleco put him in and the next morning the pleco cleaned the rocks the whole front of glass in a 20 gal tank we were amazed. they are good at cleaning. Then about 2 weeks later we noticed it disappeared the only conclusion we came too is that they ate him.

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
napa15rt said:
My boss has a tank at work . With 4 cichlids don't know exactly which ones but they are mean fish. He was being lazy and was having a bad algae problem went and got a pleco put him in and the next morning the pleco cleaned the rocks the whole front of glass in a 20 gal tank we were amazed. they are good at cleaning. Then about 2 weeks later we noticed it disappeared the only conclusion we came too is that they ate him.
Or he jumped out. Lol

napa15rt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Or he jumped out. Lol
we searched everywhere outside of the tank and was definitely not there. We were not sure if they could have eaten him to the point that there was no evidence .But we could not find any trace in tank or outside of tank. It was kind of bizarre .

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
napa15rt said:
With the algae, that points to a nitrate problem, so Old Tank Syndrome could have killed the pleco. Once there's a dead fish, everyone I opportunistic.
As for OP, get us a pic and we can try and help you out. If it's one that needs to be rehomed, we can help you with that as well. Sorry about this, pet stores tend to sell the wrong fish all the time.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gourami36 said:
Op can just buy driftwood or collect some from outside if the wood is safe
Yep but if algae is the issue as I understood, then adding a Clown isn't very usefull was what I meand.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
Yep but if algae is the issue as I understood, then adding a Clown isn't very usefull was what I meand.
Could be algae issue, or could be op just wants a pleco. If it’s an algae issue 1 or 2 nerite snails can fix it

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gourami36 said:
Could be algae issue, or could be op just wants a pleco. If it’s an algae issue 1 or 2 nerite snails can fix it
Mixed things up with the post of Napa.
So you're correct.

I still don't like the idea of a wild caught Clown in a 10G tank though. Think we need to rethink our thoughts about smaller sized fish in smaller tanks. Making that relation often isn't the correct one to me.

Sometimes if we WANT WANT WANT something we might first NEED NEED NEED to change the circumstances / tanksize before.

But heyyyy that's me.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
Mixed things up with the post of Napa.
So you're correct.

I still don't like the idea of a wild caught Clown in a 10G tank though. Think we need to rethink our thoughts about smaller sized fish in smaller tanks. Making that relation often isn't the correct one to me.

Sometimes if we WANT WANT WANT something we might first NEED NEED NEED to change the circumstances / tanksize before.

But heyyyy that's me.
Agree. That’s why I said clown plecos are ok in a 10 g but do better in larger tanks

adicted to fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
napa15rt said:
chichlids ate a pleco that is redicoulis

New Threads