I think my tank has Planaria

TheSpasticCorydora

I wasn't sure what area to post this thread.....

In my new tank (40 breeder) I noticed many worms; almost flat and white sliding around the glass. The tank has been set up for about 3 weeks. I do have Live plants I bought at pet stores that I cleaned with hot water before adding to the tank, but they were all added 3 weeks ago upon setting up the tank.

The only new animals I have added to the tank are 2 cherry shrimp. Nothing else lives in the tank yet as it is not 100% done cycling. The worms appeared today but I changed the water yesterday and didn't see any at all. I change a little bit every 3 days or so to help with its cycle.

I believe they are planaria and not detritus worms. Theyre so small it's hard to see any specific details, but I read detritus worm hang out in the substrate typically. I have had these odd worms appear in my angel tank in the past and that use to be barebottom and no live plants. Is there a good way to tell for sure what they are so I can try and treat the tank if needed?

Edit 2: I deleted the detritus worm photos to make the post cleaner. I have capture and took a photo of another worm I kept seeing. They are sometimes sliding around on the glass. Theyre fat and stumpy. usually I can find them when I sift the substrate a little But they hide quickly.
Ive never had planaria in all my years of fish keeping. Ive seen lots of videos on them. (I couldnt get my video of it to post though what's the best way to do that?) is this a planaria?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191113-010122.png
    Screenshot_20191113-010122.png
    305 KB · Views: 84

StarGirl

Pictures would help. No way to tell otherwise

TheSpasticCorydora

I'll try to attach a pic. They're very hard to see. I'm not currently home but I'll a pic when I can.

StarGirl

Planaria are kind of brownish white with a arrow shaped head. I hope you don't have them. They are hard to kill. Do you have snails? I got some in some plants I QTed and threw the plants away...lol

TheeLadyG

Look up rhabdocoela flatworms. (I swear I have typed that sentence 10 times now, haha... ) They are flatworms, like planaria, but they are harmless and actually good for your water quality. Actually I have one on a video I just took. They are VERY SMALLLL but surprisingly fast. It's the 3rd video on the post:

TheSpasticCorydora

I have one snail but it was one of those ones that comes off the plants. Guess it somehow survived the hot wash on the plants before adding to the tank.
Planaria are kind of brownish white with a arrow shaped head. I hope you don't have them. They are hard to kill. Do you have snails? I got some in some plants I QTed and threw the plants away...lol

BettaNgold

Whether they are detritus or planaria, they won’t harm your fish. Both are found in tanks that aren’t cleaned enough or where there is over feeding. Cut back on your food and vacuum your substrate. They will go back into the substrate where they normally live. Some fish will actually eat them.

TheSpasticCorydora

Whether they are detritus or planaria, they won’t harm your fish. Both are found in tanks that aren’t cleaned enough or where there is over feeding. Cut back on your food and vacuum your substrate. They will go back into the substrate where they normally live. Some fish will actually eat them.
There is almost nothing in the thank and I barely feed the shrimp. It is a new tank that is still cycling. The shrimp eat stuff on the old wood from another tank. I think these things came off a plant.

BettaNgold

They will die back with no food. I promise!

TheSpasticCorydora

They will die back with no food. I promise!
I feel like I'm just now seeing them because they're searching for food since this tank is very empty. Hopefully they will die off as I do water changes.They popped up right after the last water change and I was mad.

kallililly1973

They kind of look like detritus worms to me

StarGirl

I agree with kallililly1973. This is Planeria.
planaria.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
Tony90