I Think My Tank Has Ick

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
Also forgot to add that I leave for vacation TODAY for a week. I have a pet sitter that might be able to dose medicine. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

emmysjj

Well Known
Jeez girl you can’t catch a break
Pictures and parameters would certainly help.

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
yeah I know lol
give me a second to test and get picture and by that I mean 10 minutes

Fawkes21

Well Known
Hello,

I'm actually in the same boat as you... Leaving for holiday in a week and dealing with an ich outbreak!

I added some API aquarium salt, increased the temperature to 30f (be sure your fish can handle this temperature!) and dosed with some Seachem paraguard. It seems to have done the trick.

Not sure about dosing with API fungus cure as Ich is not in a fungus. If you use medication, try to get some ich specific ones though a heat and salt treatment should be enough.

That said you mentioned some tiny white dots in the tank. Could these be air bubbles and not ich?

If you have a picture of your betta that would be helpful.

Hope this helps,

F

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
Fawkes21 said:
Hello,

I'm actually in the same boat as you... Leaving for holiday in a week and dealing with an ich outbreak!

I added some API aquarium salt, increased the temperature to 30f (be sure your fish can handle this temperature!) and dosed with some Seachem paraguard. It seems to have done the trick.

Not sure about dosing with API fungus cure as Ich is not in a fungus. If you use medication, try to get some ich specific ones though a heat and salt treatment should be enough.

That said you mentioned some tiny white dots in the tank. Could these be air bubbles and not ich?

If you have a picture of your betta that would be helpful.

Hope this helps,

F
Okay! sadly (the worst part) I cannot raise the temp anymore, it's at 77 and that's the corydoras max. posted water parameters and pictures

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
I used play sand in the tank, so since he has been at the bottom could it be sand?

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
And then the floating stuff in the tank sand also since the corydoras dig every once in a while?

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
emmysjj said:
Fanatic Discus-Tang Gypsy13

What kind of cories?

What color are the spots?
the cory's are bronze and the spots are all white

emmysjj

Well Known
FishFor2018 said:
the cory's are bronze and the spots are all white
They bronze can handle the heat, their max is a little higher than 80. I’d turn up the heat to 82-84.

You also have a stocking issue, if you don’t mind me mentioning

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
emmysjj said:
They bronze can handle the heat, their max is a little higher than 80. I’d turn up the heat to 82-84.

You also have a stocking issue, if you don’t mind me mentioning
interesting okay I will. I know my stock issue, they need a 20 long and at least 6. every time I try to get started on that something pops up so I think I will have to wait until October bc as soon as I get back from this vaca I'm leaving again for a month or two

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
so I have an extra 50 watt heater that I can use but its not adjustable and only keeps the tank at 77. but in my only betta tank I have an adjustable 100 watt heater that can go up to 96 so should I take the 50 watt heater (extra one) and put it in the only betta tank an then put the 100 watt in the ick tank until it goes away?

emmysjj

Well Known
FishFor2018 said:
so I have an extra 50 watt heater that I can use but its not adjustable and only keeps the tank at 77. but in my only betta tank I have an adjustable 100 watt heater that can go up to 96 so should I take the 50 watt heater (extra one) and put it in the only betta tank an then put the 100 watt in the ick tank until it goes away?
I would. But let the others answer

OP
FishFor2018

FishFor2018

Well Known
okay so good news!!
I caught the betta and GENTLY rubbed him and it was sand :banghead: now I feel stupid:banghead::banghead:

FishyFan2018

FishFor2018 said:
Gypsy13
Can I do a %50 water change with distilled water crank up the heat to 81 and add aquarium salt? if I do this will it be gone by Tuesday?
If you use salt be very very careful how much you use. Cories are very sensitive to salt. I use a tablespoon in total for my 29 gal and not often and it hasn't hurt them but I'm not sure if that little amount would do anything for your ick problem . Also be careful with medications with cories. They are scaleless so very sensitive to most medications. Make sure the medicine is safe for sensitive fish like cories, loaches, and plecos, if those fish aren't mentioned don't use it as it can kill the cories (made that mistake with my tank during my setup and killed 5 loaches and 3 cories ) I use ick shield a medicated food but it's expensive.

Fawkes21

Well Known
Good to know it's only sand!

The white dots in the tank are probably sand or particles kicked up by the corys.

Enjoy your holiday

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Late here. Sorry. Glad not ich. Corys can take some salt. Some bettas sensitive to too much salt as well. Just info. With all meds, if fish has negative reaction be prepared to remove promptly.
Have good time!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom