I think my snail is sad :(

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I bought a (apparently) "red onion" nerite on Friday night (they called it a "tiger blood"). He was moving around in the tank at the store, and when I plopped him in my 2.5 gallon planted shrimp tank (after acclimating of course) he was crawling around. However, by the end of the night he was at the surface with his antennae poking out. The next morning, he was as far out of the water as he could get.

Long story short, I unfortunately cannot filter the tank because no matter how I orient the filter, it turns my tank into a cloudy dirty mess. However I do daily water changes with Prime, and siphon out any waste/plant debris.

At first I thought he didn't like the water, however when I gently poked him back into the water so I could do a water change yesterday, he didn't climb back out. He reattached himself to the wall, and stayed there...for the next six hours. Even his little antennae were withdrawn.

When we initially put him in the tank, the shrimp were pretty curious. I know ghost shrimp can sometimes be a little aggressive, so we thought perhaps the shrimp were picking on him. So we moved him to our 10 gallon betta tank (which is almost done cycling, but having a huge pain doing it because we have ammonia in our tap water), after acclimating of course. He once again was snailing around, as snails are wont to do. However, this morning he was once again at the very edge, with as much of his little snaily body out of the water as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I usually test the water from the store, but I forgot to this time (drat). The parameters in the 10 gallon are >0.25,0,~10, but I add Prime daily. The betta is doing very well, and shows no signs of ammonia problems (he unfortunately (before I knew any better) used to be in an ammonia-laden tank, so I am familiar with that). The KH is 5-6, and the GH is 10. I would put an algae wafer in for him, but I'm afraid he wouldn't notice anyway since he isn't actually in the water (very much).

Edit: as an aside, one of the hitchhiking snails on some plants I bought recently (can anyone tell me what kind they are? MTS?) evaded my discerning eye and grew to roughly BB-size. He seems quite content; I even moved him to the shrimp tank as a little experiment, and he's doing just fine, snailing about, and the shrimps couldn't seem to care less. Do snails just take a long time to acclimate?

Attached Files:

2. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Snails are very sensitive to water parameters, so something in the water could be bothering him. I haven't had any luck with the larger nerites, but my tiger and batiki nerites are doing well. Does he have enough algae to eat? Mine have never eaten any wafers or anything else besides what was growing in the tank.

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

There was in the 2.5 gallon (on the plants, at least), on one of the fake plants in the 10 gallon there is a ton of algae, but for some reason not so much on the rest. I'm wondering if it's the light; our 55 gallon has an algae problem (fluorescents), but there isn't much in the 10 or 2.5 (incandescent and LEDs, respectfully).

The strange thing is I heard that ghost shrimp are sensitive to ammonia, but they're happy, so I would think the snail would be too. Also, the straggler snail is moving about and seems happy, as well.

4. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

nerites hang out of the water a lot of the time....sounds pretty normal. however, is this the soil tank? if so, are there a lot of plants to help with the toxins? you could use a sponge filter....it is powered by an air pump, and doesn't move the water. just oxygenates it, and just moves\ the surface a bit. so that's an option to filter it.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You know kinezumi89 I have a terrible time with snails. About 50% of the snails I have purchased have just curled up and died on me right after brining them home from the store. The others seem to flourish. My tanks are totally cycled with 0 0 10 and I still have trouble. I think the adjustment from one water content to another water content is very hard on them. They don't seem to do well when moved around a lot. Wendy :;qu

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It was originally in the dirted tank, now he's in the 10 gallon with gravel substrate. (I think the substrate is too big for him, some of the pebbles are almost as big as he is. I feel like it takes him forever to get anywhere...or it would, if he ever went anywhere XD)

I knew that mystery snails were more active than nerites, but I guess I didn't expect him to be this lax! I feel better if you think that sounds normal though. But I think he's too big to be of help in the 2.5 gallon; all the algae is on the plants, and I don't think he could...slide? (is that what snails do?) across the leaves because he's too heavy.

So that's what a sponge filter is! I guess I always thought it was just covering the intake tube with a sponge...silly me. I think I've seen those before. I have an extra air pump, so I'll look into them. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for the input Wendy! Hopefully my snail perks up. I think they're actually pretty neat, so hopefully I have some luck with them :)

7. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

yeah if the algae is mostly on the plants....pretty much the only thing small enough would be ramshorn snails. they do a pretty good job with algae too. though they are pretty prolific breeders if you're not careful about feeding. i don't find my population of them ever goes that much out of control though. i think they're helpful...and pretty too!

yeah a sponge filter can be bought or made. i've had both. though my homemade sponge filter was the really basic, primitive kind haha. i just took a sponge (seeded), and shoved some airline tubing in it, turned on the air pump, and voila! the one i bought was kind of the same idea...but a lot more professional :) they're really great for any size tank...especially smaller ones.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

So for snails that are always on plants when you buy them, do you know what they are or how big they get? I found one in my 55 gallon and moved him to the 2.5 and he's actually done a pretty good job so far with the algae on the leaves.

Also, good news! The nerite was in a different location this morning, and when I looked back in the tank a few minutes later, he had moved again! Hopefully this means he's doing okay. :)

9. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

that's good that he moved :) sometimes they do just kind of 'sleep' for hours at a time. or maybe he sleeps more in the daytime, and is more active at night...when you don't see him.

so what kind of snail did you move from the 55g? was it kind of cone shapped....or curvy? trumpet snails are straight, while the ramshorn are round/curvy. of course there are pond snails too. but i'd say if the algae is disappearing...it probably is a ram

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

If the trumpet snails look sort of like those "bugles" chips things they used to sell (IE cone shaped), it's definitely not one of those. It looks like standard swirly snail shaped, so maybe a ramshorn then? It definitely seems to be eating the algae, you can tell which leaves it's been on. Do they get very big? Hopefully I don't have to worry about an infestation in the 55 gallon...I thought I picked them all out :/

11. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

they don't get very large. the largest might be nickle size. but it just depends on how much they have to eat. sounds like a ram. i think they are cool looking. if you don't overfeed your tanks, and get rid of debris/waste, you should be fine. =]

12. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Cool, free snail :) Hopefully he likes it with my shrimps. Thanks for your help!

Edit: Well, I hadn't checked on him yet today and unfortunately the ram has died already :( The water between the tanks shouldn't be too different, and I dosed both with Prime last night anyway. (At least, I'm assuming he's dead...he's upside-down and I can't see his foot :/ )

13. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

the nerite died? or the ramshorn? rams can't really be upside down...is he on the side? nerites can lay upside down....either if they have fallen, and can get back over right away....or if they are dead. put it back on it's foot...and see what happens.

14. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

The ram. Maybe it isn't a ram then, the shell is lying upside down with the hole facing up (where the foot would be sticking out). I'll check again when I get home, but I figured if he was just upside down (which I've seen the nerite do) I would still see the foot exposed, but the shell looked empty.

Fortunately the nerite is still doing well (at least he was when I left).

15. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

well, it's good the nerite is doing well, in the 10. what else is in the 2.5g? i forget.....

16. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

So far just 6 ghosts, but I ordered 20 RCS from ZeeZ, so the ghosts are going in the 55 and the RCS are going in the 2.5.

I hope the ghosts aren't mean to anybody in the 55. I don't trust them with my betta, he likes to lie on the ground. But two of my platys hide a lot on the bottom, but I'm hoping since they're obviously faster that they'll be fine. Who knew these little buggers were so mean :(

I've been talking to RogueAgent and he thinks the ram may have been eaten..apparently shrimp will take (by some means) calcium from the snail's shell...and I did see the shell in a different spot this afternoon, with a shrimp standing on top of it. (I figure I'll leave the shell in there for the calcium).

I'm going to make a sponge filter this weekend though, so hopefully my 2.5 will start cycling so I don't have to do daily water changes forever :)