I think my Pleco is sick Help 

Tarlak

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello,

I think my Pleco is sick.

Last week I did a 30% water change and glass cleaning on my 30gal fresh water tank which I do about every 4mo, I ussually do a 15% change weekly. And bought some new guppys and neons which were put into a quarentine tank. This weekend I added the new fish Saturday afternoon and later that night while watching the new fish, I noticed that my Pleco appeared to be having dificulty swimming. I thought mabey his swim bladder was out off whack and he just needed to gulp some air like he always does. But he could barly get upright and fell over backwards a few times, and acted weak like he couldn't make it to the surface of the tank. I thought mabey he was starving so I gave him an alge disk, since all he gets to eat are the leftovers from the flake food I feed the other fish. The next day I found him laying on his side on the bottom of the tank, (still alive but lethargic) I jostled him with my fish net and he finnaly took off with a pretty good jolt.

I did notice one small white spot on his head wich could be body fungus, but I'm uncertian at this time.

Last water conditions were, Ph 6.5, 26Deg C, (Nitrates, Nitirites, Ammonia) - to low to detect

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tarlak

P.S. Also my Dojo Loach has been acting very hyper swimming laps around the back of the tank. This is a bit more active than he normaly is.

Just read another thread about a Pleco that had the same symptoms but that one was very old, and mine is probably only 2 years old max.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Tarlak and Welcome to Fish Lore.

So sorry to hear that your Pleco is ill.

I see in your Aquarium Profile Information that you use a pH increase. Chemicals used to alter your pH levels can be very unstable leading to a pH crash that could result in fish loss. I highly recommend that you not use it. Most fish for the home aquarium hobby can adapt to the pH levels right from our tap.

A steady pH level can be maintained via frequent water changes. I've listed a link below that you may find helpful concerning pH. Your fish could be experiencing a pH swing which isn't good. Sudden changes in pH levels can be fatal. There are natural ways of altering your pH without the use of chemicals also mentioned in the link below:

I'm going to move your thread to the Freshwater Catfish/Pleco section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

You have your tanks water parameters as so low they're undetectable. For your tank to be cycled you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. If you have 0 nitrates then something may be wrong. Unless your tank is heavily planted there should be some nitrates showing. If you're using the API (liquid) Master Test Kit then be sure to beat the nitrate bottle in the palm of your hand, on the counter, mix it very well! Sometimes crystals can form in the bottom and cause an inaccurate reading if not mixed well.

Best wishes for your tank and fish. I'm sure you'll get some more responses.

Ken

Tarlak

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have not used any Ph increase in quite a while, but you could be correct about the Ph change. The big water change could have altered the Ph to much which would explain the eratic behavior of my Loach and the "Ill" effects my Pleco is displaying.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!! im sorry your fish arent feeling well though
what test kit are you using? as ken suggested, "too low" doesnt say too much and curious about that? ammonia/nitrites should always be 0 and nitrates 5- 20 is great...it could be a mini cycle from adding new fish ...and your plec probably is giving off too much biload for your size tank ....if you can find some prime or amquel+ , maybe you can do a few days of 10-20% water changes to perk them up in case its ammonia/nitrite poisoning? the amquel+ or prime, will detox those if that is whats going on....I hope things look up!

Tarlak

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I won't be at my house untill this weekend, I'll have my wife check the levels tonight. As far as the bio load, the new fish were in the tank only for a few hours before I started noticing the odd behavior. I think he might have been acting poorly prior to adding the new fish.

I dont remember the name of the test kit I have, but it has like 8 different bottles and 4 test tubes, and indicator cards for, Ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc.. (It's the API salt/fresh water Master Kit I beleive)

Tarlak

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Curret tank readings 26Deg C, Ph 6, Nitrate 20-30ppm, Ammonia .25ppm

Got 1 dead neon from the new batch, & my pleco seems to be doing better, he's not moviing around to much buy he's not floping around the tank anymore. Also the white spot on his head has gone away. My Dojo Loach has also calmed down & is acting normal again.

Thanks,

Tarlak

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tarlak said:
Curret tank readings 26Deg C, Ph 6, Nitrate 20-30ppm, Ammonia .25ppm

Got 1 dead neon from the new batch, & my pleco seems to be doing better, he's not moviing around to much buy he's not floping around the tank anymore. Also the white spot on his head has gone away. My Dojo Loach has also calmed down & is acting normal again.

Thanks,

Tarlak
you need the prime or amquel+ to start doing water changes daily...20-30% is fine .....do you have any nitrites? sounds like you are in a mini cycle as you have ammonia.....that can kill fast and im going to guess, its effecting all the fish now you need 0 for ammonia/nitrites and under 20 nitrates for a happy healthy cycled tank....good luck!

Tarlak

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you I'll have my wife do another water change when she gets home tonight, as I'm still on travel.

Tarlak

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well my wife told me my Pelco passed away last night

I've been doing alot of research into what might have caused the problem, & I think I found the cause. I only use RO water in my tank and no buffering media like coral, I have always had a problem with the Ph being to low 6-6.5. And I think that my tank suffered to sudden a Ph change when I did to 30% water change. I'm going to start to slowly transition over to tap water (with chlorine remover) to help increase the hardness (& buffering capacity) of my tank, pluss that will be more conveniant than getting RO water every week.

It's kind of funny because I just gave a friend of mine a 20lb bag of crushed coral for his saltwater tank and now I may need it back, lol.

Thanks again for the help,

Tarlak

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads