I think my platy gave birth.. but in my tank... help please

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Candymancan, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Candymancan Valued Member Member

I was going to be tonight, and turned the fish tank light off.. However the bubbles were anoyying me so i went to turn the nob down a little... I noticed while looking in the tank i saw this tiny thing shoot accross towards the bottom and a fish was chasing it... I turned the light on a tracked it down..

It seems i have baby fish in my tank.. They are hiding in the gravel of my tank. Altho they said she had 3-4 more weeks...

Since the light was off and i just noticed them and only 2.. Im thinking maybe they are neon fry ? My PH is perfect for neons to breed and i do have at least 3 or 4 female neons.. I hear they breed at night.. Or the legs hatch at night i dunno.. Im looking at the pictures of platy fry and they actually dont look like platy fry... They looked smaller really clear looking with only black eyes.

I have so far only seen 2 of them.. I have 20 fish in my tank... Should i try to catch the fry and put them inside a holding container in my tank ? Or should i leave them alone ?.. I just fed my fish so they wont be hungry and looking for lunch but i dunno.. I only saw 2 of the little buggers... I couldnt be sure if it was from my platy or not tho..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Candymancan Valued Member Member

I think my neons gave birth...

Guys i dunno my platy is pregnant, but i only see 2 fry.. They are very small and actually look like this

Did my 9 neons have babies or something ? I noticed 2 of them in my tank after the light were off for my bedtime..

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I would guess those are platies.
    I'm not positive, but with how small neons are, their fry would be nearly invisible. They're also fairly difficult to get to breed. They almost never do so unless conditioned with huge water changes and fresh foods.

4. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

neon are next to imposable to breed i would say it the platies

5. Candymancan Valued Member Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. Candymancan Valued Member Member

Is this a platy fry ? Its tail has the 2 black marks that my female platy has.. So i guess it is a platy fry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the female see the 2 black marks on the tail ? This fry has it also.. I only see 2 fry tho i thought platy's gave birth to like 30 of them

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Candymancan Valued Member Member

Well false alarm on the neon fry... I found a video of them and this looks nothing like a neon fry.. I looked closer at it body and noticed it has 2 black marks on it tail.. The same 2 my pregnant platy has..

So i guess she gave birth.. Its wierd i only see 2 fry tho.. either she is still giving birth or only gave borth to 2 of them or my fish ate them all ..

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I've merged your threads since we are talking about the same fry and tank. I think it will be a lot less confusing to other members.

You have some beautiful fish!
    Thanks!
    Ken