I Think My New Betta Has Fin Rot!! :((( Help

1. tryingtokeepfish Initiate Member

I just got a betta fish from the fish store for six dollars yesterday and this is my first time keeping a betta..
    I have a six gallon cycled tank with a heater (currently at 78f) with 4 amano shrimp that were already in there before i got the betta.
    I just noticed a slight tear in his tail... i cant really remember if the tear was already there at the fish store, or if this is something new.
    Is this fin rot??? And if so will clean water at a nice temperature (78f) be enough to naturally cure him?? I really dont like dosing the tank with anything. Please help!!!!
    Oh and when i got the betta, he was in a tiny cup and the water was almost lime green... the pet store guy swore it was because of almond leaves but i think it may have been really really bad quality water. Could that have made my betta sick?

Attached Files:

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Leaves turn the water brown, fish waste turns it green. :) unless it's radioactive green then it *migh* be an alge bloom. Poor guy on here did that with a big tank.

anyways, daily 50% water changes will clear up finrot. It's minor so you don't need to worry about meds or salt. Just stay on top of water changes.

3. tryingtokeepfish Initiate Member

Thank you!!