I think my guppy has fungus

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I got two Guppies a couple of days ago and I think one has fungus. She has this raised, cream-colored bump on her side, and around around it the skin is paler. She has sometimes flicked her side against rocks, and occasionally I notice her fins are clamped. It is still very small and doesn't seem to bother her much at all, but I'm sure something's there. It kind of looks like ich, but bigger and creamy-colored, and there's only one, and from the top you can see it is raised quite a bit. She didn't eat the other day, but I'm almost positive that's because she wasn't settled in yet and was intimidated by my very hungry Platies, and she's as active as usual. Do you think this is fungus? I think I have a medication that will treat fungus...what about salt baths--would one of those help? Unfortunately I don't have a quarintine tank, although I have a bucket big enough for a temporary salt bath, so I'll have to treat the whole tank. She seems fine, but I'm trying not to panic...I'm going to do a water change now. Somebody pleeease answer soon--whether it's fungus, and what to do. :( :( :(

2. AquaGirl Initiate Member

I don't think it is a "true" fungus Omorrokh. It seems more like Ich. Ich disease is characterized by small white spots that may cover the body and fish is rubbing or scratching against bottom or other objects in the tank. It is a parasitic infection and it is easily transmitted to other fish in the tank. Maracide by Mardel Labs treats Ich.

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

A salt bath could help but you'd have to refer that question to the more experienced members of this forum... Gunnie , Butterfly???

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Hows your guppy today? Ich looks like grains of salt, fungus looks like tiny tufts of cotton or stringy greyish stuff. Neither of those seems like what you described. The salt bath probably won't hurt but if it's an infection of somekind it won't cure it either.
    First do all the simple things, check your water parameters, NitrAtes a little high will sometimes cause fish to flash against the rocks or whatever is in the tank. They can injure themselves when doing this. If there is still just the one spot and it hasn't changed I would be inclined to think its an injury of somekind.
    If all is well in your tank then If you could I would definately seperate it from the other fish and do a round of Maracyn or Maracyn II. Hope this helps.
    Carol

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

i hope ur guppy gets better there great little fish!! follow the recommendations from butterfly and i hope ur guppy gets better!!!!!!!

i hav 2 at the minute but want 2 get more there great

good luck C W

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I know what Ich looks like--it's definately not that. I went ahead and treated the tank with a mild, multi-purpose medication, but I'm thinking I'll have to do more than that. How do you give a salt bath--how much salt do you use and for how long? I'm not sure it's fungus anymore--it's just a small, hard-to-see (though probably because of the fish's color) yellowish patch, which bulges out slightly when seen from the top. She didn't have it when I got her or the day after. She ate well last night and is active and very healthy-looking today. This is driving me crazy! Here I thought I knew so much about fish disease!... I just tested my water and everything's fine, just as it has been since before I even got my Guppies. Oh, and yesterday I did a water change. The 'thing' doesn't look like an injury to me. Hmmm, do you suppose it could be some kind of external parasite? I guess a salt bath will take care of that if it is, but again, it doesn't really look like one. I think I'm going to look into a salt bath right now. I appreciate everyone's responses.

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

There is an article in Aquarium Fish Magazine May 2005 that talks about salt treatments. The instructions are: 1 tablespoon uniodized rock salt for each gallon of water being treated. The salt will kill plants and snails. So its best to use a seperate tank for the sick fish. Treat the sick fish until a few days after a cure is affected. There are some fish that are sensitive to salt such as corys
    After the initial salt treatment treat only the water being put back in when doing water changes as salt doesn't evaporate like the water does. I have no experience using salt treatments keep us posted on how your fish is. Hope it gets better.
    Carol

8. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Well, good news--my Guppy seems perfectly fine now, although I still don't know what was wrong with her. I gave her a couple of strong salt baths a while ago, and those must have done the trick. There was a while when I thought I was going to lose her, but she has been perfectly healthy for a while now. I'm beginning to wonder if those of you who had bad experiences with Guppies always dying got ones who came from bad breeders or something, because my Guppies have certainly proved themselves very hardy. Maybe I just got lucky. I'm really glad that all my fish are fine, because I'll probably need really nice fry if I'm going to make any money off of them.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Glad to hear your guppys ok. Always good to hear good news.
    CArol