I think my ghost shrimp had babies

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had read that Ghost shrimp are almost impossible to breed but I think my GS had some babies. A few days ago I put some baby brine shrimp in my tank for the heck of it and then I was puzzled because they were still alive days later. Oh yeah this is a 40 gallon freshwater tank with only 2 zebra danio, one rubber nose pleco and 6 ghost shrimp. Anyway I watched them more closely and I noticed that they were not moving like brine shrimp. They were shooting around in straight lines and then attaching to the glass occassionally. I was puzzled by this and the fact that I read that **** only live in Freshwater for up to five hours. SO all of a sudden I wondered if my GS had babies. Not sure what to do about it. Is it possible though? I did scoop out a glass of water from the tank in case they all get eaten or sucked into the powerful filter. What do I feed them?

Thanks

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Utty,

I've moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Ghost Shrimp section of the forum. Hold on for more responses.

Thanks!
Ken

wolfnitehunter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i've heard that GS are very hard to breed as well and in fact i've been trying to breed them myself so that they would provide an anytime snack source for my fish. Almost every time i've bought GS i've had a couple of females carrying eggs. unfortunately I did not find out till recently that in order for the babies to survive you have to remove them from the tank because the other GS as well as the fish will eat them. you also need plenty of hiding holes and sand instead of gravel

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pretty much everything will eat baby shrimp. To give some of them a chance, you can provide things like thick clumps of Java moss for them to hide in. Otherwise, using a pipette or turkey baster to suck up the larvae and move them to their own tank would be a good idea.
Wolfnitehunter, why would you need sand to breed ghost shrimp?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
According to the Fish Lore profile on ghosties, they need brackish water to complete their larval stages. But googling turns up people that say they bred them in Freshwater so I'm not sure what to say. They won't look like shrimp for at least a week, they'll be floating aimlessly around the tank head-down, so they'll probably get eaten or sucked into the filter unless you've turned it off completely.

-Lisa

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Petshrimp.com says that they don't need salt to survive. I think Fishlore's profile has this wrong.
One other thing they need is a source of food. Unlike Amano shrimp and cherry shrimp, they won't eat algae, so you'll have to feed them some sort of micro-food, or get them in a planted, extremely mature aquarium, which might support the kinds of micro-organisms they need to survive to adulthood.

wolfnitehunter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I read that GS prefer sand over gravel. I don't know if its necessary for their survival or breeding. it was just a suggestion. in my tank I have gravel but my GS are constantly getting sick and dying.

utty

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello

I am so sorry that I missed all these replies. I posted this thread late at night and then my brain went on hiatus apparently.

Here you all took the time to reply and I rudely left. lol

Well I gotta say whatever it was disappeared. Although perhaps my few fish did eat them. Or the filter got them.

I wish shrimp were easier to breed.
Aquarist48 thanks for moving my thread to a good place. : )

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads