I Think My German Blue Rams Have Flukes!

Jordan thomas
I purchased 2 rams 3 days ago, when I got them home and acclimated them they were happy in their tank the first few hours but after a while the larger ram (don’t know sexes yet, I have a feeling they are either 2 females or a young male and older female) started flashing, not long after, the smaller one did it a couple times, I have not seen it flash since, I read that it could be a dominance thing as the smaller one has given up on trying to be the dominant so has stopped flashing but I’m not sure if it’s flukes or just dominance, any help greatly appreciated, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate, ph 6.4 gh 7.5
24 gallon tank

Attachments

• 0D2047F2-63E7-48A6-915A-CFFE5F472222.jpeg
    0D2047F2-63E7-48A6-915A-CFFE5F472222.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 1B442A8B-B854-478F-B68B-272AFDF84F74.jpeg
    1B442A8B-B854-478F-B68B-272AFDF84F74.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 781A898F-B044-48BE-B778-787632D1BD0C.jpeg
    781A898F-B044-48BE-B778-787632D1BD0C.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 945C4558-B5B8-4A38-BB0F-78152DC50754.jpeg
    945C4558-B5B8-4A38-BB0F-78152DC50754.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 142
varmint
I would suggest using Prazi-pro if it's available in your country.

Forgot to ask: what temperature is your tank?

Rtessy
PraziPro is extremely effective and very safe, I've used it in my shrimp tank and a single dose took out all the parasites and the shrimp were entirely unaffected. If you suspect flukes, you may as well use it.

Jordan thomas
Forgot to ask: what temperature is your tank?
Ah sorry I should have mentioned that, at night about 80f during the day 82f and sadly we can’t get prazi-pro here in New Zealand, I was reading Epsom salts but then I was also reading that they aren’t effective against flukes

PraziPro is extremely effective and very safe, I've used it in my shrimp tank and a single dose took out all the parasites and the shrimp were entirely unaffected. If you suspect flukes, you may as well use it.
Can’t get it in New Zealand sadly, I’ve even been to the vets to see if they could get it but they can’t

Rtessy
Dang, that's rough. If they're external you could use aquarium salt (aka pickling salt) and make a dip/bath. I don't actually know if rams are salt tolerant though....
But I'm not sure epsom salts will help, that's used more for dropsy/constipation I thought?

Jordan thomas
Dang, that's rough. If they're external you could use aquarium salt (aka pickling salt) and make a dip/bath. I don't actually know if rams are salt tolerant though....
But I'm not sure epsom salts will help, that's used more for dropsy/constipation I thought?
I’ll do some research on how tolerant hey are to salt and if that’s a possibility I’ll give it a go, I’m pretty sure they aren’t external as I can’t see anything physically wrong with my rams, the only sign is the bigger one flashing a few times a day, as for Epsom salts yeah I’ve heard of it being used for dropsy and constipation, I saw it recommended on another site if suitable medications were not available but there were mixed responses in the comments.

AquaticJ
Their fins aren't clamped which is good. Are they breathing fast or heavy? Rubbing against things isn't a mating behavior. Rams aren't specifically sensitive to salt, but sometimes fish rubbing against things is nothing to worry about. Did you use water conditioner?

varmint
Bummer. Can you get ParaGuard by Seachem?

Jordan thomas
Bummer. Can you get ParaGuard by Seachem?
Yes I can! Would that be a good route to take?

Their fins aren't clamped which is good. Are they breathing fast or heavy? Rubbing against things isn't a mating behavior. Rams aren't specifically sensitive to salt, but sometimes fish rubbing against things is nothing to worry about. Did you use water conditioner?
They aren’t breather faster or heavier than they were in the store, yes I always use Seachem prime when doing water changes or adding new fish, thanks for letting me know about the salt!

varmint
I would give a try. Good luck.

Jordan thomas
I would give a try. Good luck.
Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it

AquaticJ
The larger Ram is a female, I can't tell the smaller one though. Paraguard is definitely a safe option!

Jordan thomas
The larger Ram is a female, I can't tell the smaller one though. Paraguard is definitely a safe option!
Awesome thank you very much!!!

skar
I don't see flukes.. why is every one saying to medicate ? I don't see any thing ?!

varmint
I don't see flukes.. why is every one saying to medicate ? I don't see any thing ?![/QUOTE
Gill flukes is not something you can see, but flashing is an indication of that.

Jordan thomas
I don't see flukes.. why is every one saying to medicate ? I don't see any thing ?!
I can’t see anything either but as stated the big one flashes a few times a day, so I came here for advice as I’ve read you can’t always see flukes and flashing can be an early sign before it’s is visible

AquaticJ
You can’t see flukes by just looking with your eyes most of the time. If the fish is scratching against something, better safe than sorry.

skar
Huh...
Alright .. :|

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gorm6969
Replies
Views
Five 97
Top Bottom